VW -- Complete failure of cam and rockers in PD

Status
Not open for further replies.
10:1 the dealership wasn't using VW specd oil. They probably were using 5w30 dino while the customer followed VW's recommended OCI.

Quote:

If I have understood things right, after reading a lot of posts here, Dino oil is the best thing that have ever happened to mankind. Maybe even better than sliced bread....

The cam wear would basically be because the oil is not additized to allow proper protection in the valve train?

"The cam wear would basically be because the oil is not additized to allow proper protection in the valve train?"

Can't be. SM oil is the best available, as in the US it's good enough to spec'd for 5000 MILES, AT 70 MPH !

Quote:

"The cam wear would basically be because the oil is not additized to allow proper protection in the valve train?"

Can't be. SM oil is the best available, as in the US it's good enough to spec'd for 5000 MILES, AT 70 MPH !

Not for the V.W, all engines are not designed the same?

Quote:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Well this is talking about a PD engine,
laugh.gif
, SM oil need not apply.
laugh.gif

"SM is the best available"
laugh.gif

This is like telling a Duramax owner to go run his engine on SM oil. Lets see how long that lasts.
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Well this is talking about a PD engine,
laugh.gif
, SM oil need not apply.
laugh.gif

"SM is the best available"
laugh.gif

This is like telling a Duramax owner to go run his engine on SM oil. Lets see how long that lasts.
grin.gif

That's right. SM oils are the best available in protecting catalytic converters. I notice that the synthetic 5W30 oil that Briggs & Stratton sell for small air-cooled engines is not SM, and neither is the new Amsoil 10W30/30W oil that they recommend for small engines. I was looking at the oils at Autozone the other day, and I saw some Castrol Syntec 5W40 that was not SM. It was rated SL, SJ, and CF, and was said to be specially formulated for Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Volkswagen. SM oils may be the first to not necessarily be as good for all applications as previous ratings.

"5000 MILES at 70 MPH" was intended to be a joke. The last time my wife was in Germany her friend drove her around, often at about 120 mph on the highway. This is a middle aged lady just driving around in a normal manner.

Quote:

"5000 MILES at 70 MPH" was intended to be a joke. The last time my wife was in Germany her friend drove her around, often at about 120 mph on the highway. This is a middle aged lady just driving around in a normal manner.

Hey, I knew it was a joke. 5000 miles @ 70 mph would be the easiest 5000 miles any car engine ever experienced. Now, that steady cruising at 120 mph, there is the reason the German companies like 5w40 synthetic oil, and not an SM grade, either.

Quote:

I was looking at the oils at Autozone the other day, and I saw some Castrol Syntec 5W40 that was not SM. It was rated SL, SJ, and CF, and was said to be specially formulated for Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Volkswagen. SM oils may be the first to not necessarily be as good for all applications as previous ratings.

The castrol syn-tech is 505.00 rated. Our 2006 TDI uses the newer 505.01 rating oil. I called 4 dealers for a 10,000 mile service and oil change. None of them used the 505.01 rated oil. I finally found one that used it upon customer request. So even the VW dealers are not using the right VW spec oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back