VW/Audi TPMS Recall

I received the official notice from Volkswagen today. I suppose thatI will schedule for after the New Year.
This recall is strange. The likelihood of the issue happening that spawned the recall is slim. I feel like many other cars that have in-wheel tpms have embedded insufficiencies that are far more serious than what VW is having happen. For example, in both our Fords, I run winter tires with no tpms. When I start the cars at home the car can and does ping the all seasons WITH tpms on the other side of the house. It takes about 20 mins for either of them to notice that the sensors aren’t there after I start driving. If someone only ever did short trips, there is a good chance that the car would never sense the missing tpms sensors. That seems like a far more serious issue/deficiency that I’m sure many vehicles have.

I got my notice today.

I don't think they have sensors.

It appears VW petitioned .gov for "inconsequential non-compliance" and was denied. I would call this inconsequential... i won't be running down to the dealer immediately to get it fixed.

This recall is strange. The likelihood of the issue happening that spawned the recall is slim. I feel like many other cars that have in-wheel tpms have embedded insufficiencies that are far more serious than what VW is having happen. For example, in both our Fords, I run winter tires with no tpms. When I start the cars at home the car can and does ping the all seasons WITH tpms on the other side of the house. It takes about 20 mins for either of them to notice that the sensors aren’t there after I start driving. If someone only ever did short trips, there is a good chance that the car would never sense the missing tpms sensors. That seems like a far more serious issue/deficiency that I’m sure many vehicles have.
My VW doesn’t have in wheel sensors. The system works via the speed sensors located in hub/brake area.

I got my notice today.

I don't think they have sensors.

It appears VW petitioned .gov for "inconsequential non-compliance" and was denied. I would call this inconsequential... i won't be running down to the dealer immediately to get it fixed.
VW doesn’t use the typical valve stem on sensor setup.

If you clicked on the link:

A deeper dive into the recall shows that affected vehicles apparently had a hardware/software combination installed that included a specific brake control unit. As such, the fix is a simple software update to the TPMS, which will be performed by VW dealers free of charge.

My old 08 Passat had wheel TPMS 315 MHz sensors...

Back