VW/Audi 1.8T cam seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, this is probably an invitation to sheer speculation, but here goes --

Last August, in the face of a rapidly spreading epidemic of oil sludge, VWoA sent a letter to owners of cars with 1.8T engines, essentially telling them to start using synthetic oil if they were not already doing so. Since then, I have been reading about alot of cam seal failures on VWVortex and ClubB5/PassatWorld. My experience is similar -- my cam chain started to clatter on hot idle not long after I switched from Castrol GTX to Mobil 1, and I took the car in for warranty-covered replacement of the internal cam seals and (probably unnecessarily) the cam chain adjuster itself.

I might actually start believing the allegations that switching from dino to synthetic "causes" or "exposes" oil leaks, presumably by cleaning build-up deposits out of them, but I think we have only enough evidence to demonstrate correlation, not cause-and-effect.

Well, if it exposed a seal that was dry from being covered with varnish, that would be technically not the oils fault. Leaks can go away too. You did not mention oil grades or ocis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back