VW 2.0T K&N Air Filter @ 43k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend w/ the '07 GTI was visiting and told me that he recently had a 40k service done on his car. After looking at his invoice, he actually did not have a full 40k service performed-- he only had the oil and filter change performed. So, I decided to help him out by replacing both his engine and cabin air filters for him.

I'll create a separate thread on this later, but replacing an air filter on a VW 2.0T FSI is quite a PITA. So, it often gets overlooked since dealer techs and quick lubes do not check the filter during routine oil changes.

This is a K&N filter from the vehicle. My friend installed this shortly after he bought the car new, and I assume it has not been touched since installation. The filter is about 3 years out and has ~43k miles on it, and has been used in OC for all of its life.

The filter media is originally red/purple, not it is as dark as wet pavement!

5fb83f9c.jpg

dda42035.jpg

653d2592.jpg

I replaced the K&N with a $20 NAPA Gold air filter that looks very similar to a new OE filter. The K&N has been set aside for now.

I wouldn't run anything but paper in a DI engine, especially this one.

They are a pita to change on FSI. TSI is really simple, and there was a restrictor/diffuser I popped out....

downsized_0905001819.jpg

Looks a lot like out 2.5 air filter. To do that we need to remove the engine cover, but it is fairly easy besides that.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Looks a lot like out 2.5 air filter. To do that we need to remove the engine cover, but it is fairly easy besides that.

It isn't that easy to line up the door to the filter, as you have noticed. Also, once the cover ages and goes through enough heat cycles, it becomes brittle.

The filter media isn't red/purple, thats the colour of the filter oil. I can see white sections on your friends filter, so those spots are dry and there is a good chance dust went through the filter since there is no oil to catch the particles.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I wouldn't run anything but paper in a DI engine, especially this one.

They are a pita to change on FSI. TSI is really simple, and there was a restrictor/diffuser I popped out....

downsized_0905001819.jpg

Audi, could you tell a difference after popping out the restrictor/diffuser?

I think more problems arise from over oiling than underoiling. And the dirt absorbs the oil and can make the filter look dry after a while. When I used K&N I would put just enough oil on to make the media pink, not dripping red.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cryption
Plugs are a good idea too

I'll be doing the plugs and cam follower the next time he is in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back