Vue Transmission about to fail. AGAIN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a few months ago about the trans failing in the VUE. I bought a used one and installed it.

I think it is about to fail again. I think it is the wave plate issue that I read about EVERYWHERE on the internet. Some of you guys said it was as well.

Putting it in reverse, it won't engage right away and then bangs in. Also, the 3rd and 5th gear changes don't land properly. I can only assume 3-5-R wave plate is gonna fail.

This is the second transmission with this issue. I have heard of countless people with Acadias, Envlaces. Saturn.. horror stories.

Best part is, I'm out of warranty..

So basically I am screwed. Just bought a house and sunk in some big moolah.. I'm broke.

I am willing to try any sort of trans fix luid you can think of to at least get as much as I can out of this trans. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Did you check the fluid level, and if so how?
How many miles since you changed the filter and fluid?

Do you let it idle for a minute before driving on cold mornings?

Did you check the transmission fluid pressure? I know I can adjust mine via a cable, but that's a 1995 car. On a newer car that can be done electronically.

Yes, you are right. Thank you for remembering.

The current transmission has been in the car for approximately 20 thousand miles. I check the fluid level on every oil change. It is at the level and still looks good. I check through the dipstick,

My parents' Enclave ('08, 90,000 miles) just had a minor trans issue. Ending up being some control solenoid IIRC. There was a CEL thrown and a code, so troubleshooting the issue was made a little easier in their case.

get it fixed/rebuilt, and sell it asap. dont try selling it busted or you will get nothing but lowball offers. since its such a prominent failure, expect it again after 20k more.

I think your issue was buying a used transmission, and expecting any different. What you need is to have it rebuilt with updated parts, and you probably won't ever have to worry about it again.

My brother had a friend in a similar situation. He rebuilt the transmission just taken out, and when the replacement unit failed, simply installed the one he had rebuilt. Then repeated. Seems like a lot of work, but he got really good at the rebuild.

Rebuild and sell might be best, unless you wouldn't mind performing the swap every 20-30k.

Check for codes. When a solenoid failed on mine I did not get a dash light. I had to scan for codes. You might have a code. If it were mine I would still check the transmission oil pressure anyway. If it matters, I am driving a 1995 car with over 217K miles on it, and it still has it's original automatic transmission.

If it stills shifts OK try to trade it in, they might miss it.

Used parts like transmissions are generally a waste of time. For a bit more you could have gotten yours rebuilt and not had this problem 20k later.

Nothing will help this one, it is the dreaded wave plate issue.
Getting it properly rebuilt with the new stress relieved wave plates will fix the problem.
A local trade/automotive school may be able to help you out for the price of the parts only but it may take them some time to perform the work, chances are it will be done right though.

Stay clear of used ones they all have the same problem unless you are lucky enough to get one that has been redone.

Originally Posted By: Highline9
replace atf with tractor fluid

I didn't see that one coming.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back