Volvo to enter V8 Supercars

Status
Not open for further replies.
V8 Supercar engine rules are very restrictive. All engines have a 7500 rpm rev limit, so the additional rev potential of OHC engines is eliminated. Even so, I would expect the 4-valve per cylinder engines would make more power at the same rev limit. The sanctioning body wants to equalize performance for close competition, so they could put inlet restrictors on the 4-valve engines, or limit cam specs.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
V8 Supercar engine rules are very restrictive. All engines have a 7500 rpm rev limit, so the additional rev potential of OHC engines is eliminated. Even so, I would expect the 4-valve per cylinder engines would make more power at the same rev limit. The sanctioning body wants to equalize performance for close competition, so they could put inlet restrictors on the 4-valve engines, or limit cam specs.

Interesting to see where the tacho ends up when they are using engine braking to the max...the pushrod valvetrain can handle a lot more than 7.500 rpm

Originally Posted By: supercity
Is the Yamaha a cross plane V8? I do wonder why Mercedes went with a flat plane

A flat plane crank makes exhaust tuning much easier as firing pulses are even on each bank.

It's foolish to believe that a new car can go from zero to hero in just one season. The amount of expertise of the top V8SC teams and drivers are incredible. Nissan, Volvo, and Mercedes need to do some catching up. However, in the last few races, the Nissan cars were looking quite "racy". Still not in contention for a win, but they do start to show a solid mid-field performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back