Volvo to enter V8 Supercars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if that would happen; in the Pirelli World Challenge you have the S60 running against the CTS-V and others.

Ford wont even have RWD V8 Sedans in Australia after 2016 so the series is not going to be all that relevant to their road cars.

Supposedly the V8 in the XC90 was made by Yamaha, maybe they will use that? I think its kinda funny that Ford still uses a Windsor based V8, literally right out of the FRPP catalog in that series yet uses a custom designed V8 for NASCAR instead of the Windsor.

That's the sad and sorry history of how the V-8 supercars came into being.

Holden had, and were racing their home grown V-8, against the Ford 5L...ford whined and got the NASCAR windsor block, Holden whinged too and got the SBC, then the Holden V-8 died on street cars.

Interesting development now that Volvo is no longer owned by Ford they are in full blown marketing mode.

This is what you can do with this Volvo/Yamaha V-8 when you add a couple turbochargers to it.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Yamaha makes a heck of a piano. Got a coupla' friends with Taurus SHO's with camdrive problems, though.

^^^
crackmeup2.gif
(But I DO admire Yamahaha's small, 32 valve V-8, and crotch rocket powerplant engineering.
wink.gif
)

Red, Blue, Silver, Japanese cars are normally white, so maybe that's Nissan....but now someone gets to wave brown flags. Will the drivers be allowed to wear hats rather than crash helmets?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Supposedly the V8 in the XC90 was made by Yamaha, maybe they will use that? I think its kinda funny that Ford still uses a Windsor based V8, literally right out of the FRPP catalog in that series yet uses a custom designed V8 for NASCAR instead of the Windsor.

as opposed to say toyota that developed a full size truck with parts that match the f150 and created a v8 engine just to run in the nascar truck series. and then uses that engine in the nascar cup car. yet NO toyota car can be bought with any kind of v8 motor.

at least with ford and chevy and dodge (now gone) they at least had cars that could be bought with a v8.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Yamaha makes a heck of a piano. Got a coupla' friends with Taurus SHO's with camdrive problems, though.

If they don't have their cam gears welded they don't know their sho very well.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/236095/volvo-announces-v8-supercars-program-using-yamaha-v8/

from the article:
"the 5.0-litre V8 engine to be used will be a Volvo engine, based on the old Yamaha-designed 4.4-litre V8 previously used in S80 and XC90."

Weird. The XC90 engine was a V8 with a 60-degree bank angle, and presumably odd firing intervals and balance shafts. It was developed by Yamaha for Volvo when Ford owned them. They swear the engine isn't related to the 3.4L V8 of the late-90's Taurus SHO, but there's too many coincidences there to satisfy me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
http://www.caradvice.com.au/236095/volvo-announces-v8-supercars-program-using-yamaha-v8/

from the article:
"the 5.0-litre V8 engine to be used will be a Volvo engine, based on the old Yamaha-designed 4.4-litre V8 previously used in S80 and XC90."

Weird. The XC90 engine was a V8 with a 60-degree bank angle, and presumably odd firing intervals and balance shafts. It was developed by Yamaha for Volvo when Ford owned them. They swear the engine isn't related to the 3.4L V8 of the late-90's Taurus SHO, but there's too many coincidences there to satisfy me.

Supposedly they are very similar. I don't think there has been anyone tear them down next to each other to know for sure.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

as opposed to say toyota that developed a full size truck with parts that match the f150 and created a v8 engine just to run in the nascar truck series. and then uses that engine in the nascar cup car. yet NO toyota car can be bought with any kind of v8 motor.

at least with ford and chevy and dodge (now gone) they at least had cars that could be bought with a v8.

Not sure it really matters to most folks but NASCAR hasn't been racing "stock" cars for decades....

One could argue that Toyota does sell a RWD car with a V8 in the USA it's called a Lexus LS and overseas it's a Toyota Celsior.

The only thing related to the production and NASCAR Camry is the name on the car and the same goes for all the other manufacturers in NASCAR.

Come to think of it I've yet to see a RWD V8 Fusion at my local Ford dealer.

Now back on topic since this is about Aussie rules V8 Supercars... LOL

Originally Posted By: Zako2
The Volvo V8 supercar engine will be the old now discontinued Yamaha engine from XC90 modified by meet V8SC requirements:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/06/18/polestar-undaunted-by-v8-development-challenge/

Good info in there. Nissan and Mercedes/Erebus are having a heck of a time keeping up with Holden and Ford. On paper the cammer engines should be walking all over the "antiquated" pushrod engines of Ford and Holden, but the 10+ year head start gives them a massive engineering advantage.

When I was talking with a FPR engineer on a flight out of Austin he said there were a lot of bespoke parts on their engines, but an amazing number were straight off teh shelf from FRPP, Yates and Comp Cams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back