Volkswagen new GTI vs. Civic SI

Status
Not open for further replies.
ummmm, yeah, dont think so... I log every tank, and keep track of driving profiles... I can average 65 MPG and still hit 37-38 repeatedly.

Driving at 50-55 on rte 13 to norfolk once, I DID hit 40MPG (calculated).

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
By the way, those VW commercials truely make me embarrassed to be 1/2 German.

EXACTLY what I was thinking, only Im more like 3/4. Thats really why I entered into this thread to complain!

JMH

To base the decision whether or not to buy a car on its commercial is in my opinion, well, I don't want to get banned.
tongue.gif
Anyway, I love those Fast ads and the fast. I don't find the Peter Stormare, he makes for a great fake Russian, but German?!? ads appealing or funny, but it wouldn't influence my decision to purchase the car. There are many reasons not to want a Golf. I've always thought the Golf, no matter which generation, was ugly. And now it's got a giant black nose, just like the late model Audis. You heard me, I base my decision to not even consider a Golf solely on its looks, or shall we say lack thereof.
wink.gif

Ive found the computer to typically be about 1-3% off, on the high side (usually around 1.5% off), though its been as much as 2% low as well.
I reset the entire computer every tank (not just the MPG portion), for better or worse.

The DTE is designed to be off - Ive gotten fuel when it says 7 miles, and it was still about a gallon shy from empty.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
To base the decision whether or not to buy a car on its commercial is in my opinion, well, I don't want to get banned.
tongue.gif

Well, looks are obviously the first thing tht anyone will use to decide... first impression is HUGE.

But the annoyances that commercials and similar outlets provide to me influence what I think of companies... jsut the same way that friends' experiences, reviews and even my own test drives do.

JMH

That's pretty interesting given that the mileage penalty from oxygenated gas (which I assume is used year-round in NJ, as it is in Northern VA) is reportedly about 3% or so.

I wonder if the computer is just using input from the mass air flow sensor to calculate fuel economy, and the use of oxygenated gasoline is throwing off the calculations.

Fuel economy does drop sometimes during the winter, attribute it to oxygenated gas if you like... the error always remains about the same (I think only once have I ever dropped below 30 MPG, and it was in the winter).

The controls system for the engine, trionic version 8, is extremely advanced, apparently. It very well might have a more elegant method of calculating economy (though it still cant get it dead on
smile.gif
)

JMH

I like those VW commercials. I've only seen two and they both made me laugh. That's not bad considering every other car commercial, and pretty much every non-car commercial, makes me push the GUIDE, or at least MUTE, button.

quote:

I don't find the Peter Stormare, he makes for a great fake Russian, but German?!?

LOL! Yeah. I think the UK-born Jeremy Irons would have made a better fake German than that.
smile.gif

quote:

But the annoyances that commercials and similar outlets provide to me influence what I think of companies... jsut the same way that friends' experiences, reviews and even my own test drives do.

JMH

If commercials were to influence me, I wouldn't buy 98% of the products I see in TV ads out of principle. Most commercials are dumb and many are repulsive.

If it's any solace, VW does not show those particular commercials, which are made for the NA market, anywhere else. If anything, the ads says something about the marketing guys and their market. I really don't know who drives a Golf in the US. Maybe the guy who outgrew his first car that he dressed up with a roof spoiler and tater shooter exhaust tip? That's what the commercial implies. Or the advertisers are trying to point out how different the VW product really is by mocking the whole ad culture in itself. Who cares?

Then again, why buy a car that needs advertising?
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

quote:

Then again, why buy a car that needs advertising?
wink.gif
YES, now we're onto something!

JMH
That's sort of true, but I remember back in the day (say, 5-10 years ago), BMW never had to advertise on TV. I never saw any of their commercials. Then I saw a couple for the E46 3-series, a couple for the existing 7-series (racing a motorcycle on a mountain road), and then recently, their "1, 2... 3!" campaign.

Same thing with Benz. They never advertised several years ago, and now they advertise their "Winter events" and their C-class. They're smart enough to know that they don't need commercials to sell the E and S cars-- those sell themselves.

IMO the GTI doesnt look all that good, and with the TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, STUPID commercials that VW has been putting out lately, I wouldnt touch that car with a 10 ft pole.

Those commercials do nothing good to convery faith in German engineering, the likes of which brought us wonderful BMWs and Mercedes diesels and Porsches. Euro cars have been getting bad enough reports lately for quality, and last I checked VW hasnt been helping that much (despite selling relatively simpler cars than BMW and MB). I suggest they work on basic engineering before making those idiotic commercials.

The car doesnt look all that great anyway, though neither does the Si. They should have kept the Si as a coupe, like the previous gen, instead of the silly looking hatch (though the original civic crx Si was good looking, IMO).

JMH

The SI is a coupe. You're thinking of the last generation SI that came in a hatch with the shifter up on the dash. The new gen is coupe and sedan (at least in North America).

I agree VW should spend money on quality and reliability instead of fancy ads, although the salesman at the stealership gave me a nice shiny DVD (complete with brochure in the DVD case) that was all about your 'FAST'. It was quite funny actually.

There is some pretty bad commericals out there and VW has had there share. Aren't they the same company that did that "da da da" a couple years back? How about farfunquein? I do laugh at how they mock the 'pimp my ride' crowd. Saab did that one where the jet turned into an SUV like my son's transformer.
Wasn't Peter Stormare in Armagedon as the Russian space station worker? He ain't so bad as when he makes that silly VW 3 sign at the end of the commerical.

Yeah, Stormare played the Russian cosmonaut who fixed broken space station equipment by hitting it in a fit of rage. He played the (again Russian?) back alley surgeon who removed and replaced Tom Cruise's character's eyes in Minority Report, and he could recently be seen as a convict in Prison Break. I really don't care for the pimp ride VW commercials, but I love the Fast ones. A kingdom for a Fast!
tongue.gif

I looked at an Si. I could have gotten it for msrp. New Civic is a fine car, but I'd tire of a base model and would not want an Si due to the "rice factor"...not wanting my car to be stollen and stripped for the parts. I would not even consider a VW or Audi in light of AoA's poor customer support and relations...a nice safe car...glitchy...would not buy on principle, although the "UN-pimp Your Ride" commercials are hilarious. Saabs are great cars, I looked at the pricing, maybe with a huge discount it would have worked for me. I was however into the cheapest possible car that would be the most reliable. Without seeing a SINGLE commmercial, I got an Acura RSX. A fat discount on a car that really does not need a discount! Good amounts of side legroom (kneeroom) sealed the deal for me. Price was great, sweet interior, super mpg, reliable, long warranty, premium nameplate. If I wanted leather and 200hp, the Type-S can be had for $22k. I paid $18.7k for a base model that came with a lot of stuff. No need for "Un-pimping" either.
 -

I have an order in for a gti 4 door but i may cancel it because there will be an 07' si 4 door that i saw at an auto show.
I think those new v dub commercials are great.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
I looked at an Si. I could have gotten it for msrp. New Civic is a fine car, but I'd tire of a base model and would not want an Si due to the "rice factor"...not wanting my car to be stollen and stripped for the parts. I would not even consider a VW or Audi in light of AoA's poor customer support and relations...a nice safe car...glitchy...would not buy on principle, although the "UN-pimp Your Ride" commercials are hilarious. Saabs are great cars, I looked at the pricing, maybe with a huge discount it would have worked for me. I was however into the cheapest possible car that would be the most reliable. Without seeing a SINGLE commmercial, I got an Acura RSX. A fat discount on a car that really does not need a discount! Good amounts of side legroom (kneeroom) sealed the deal for me. Price was great, sweet interior, super mpg, reliable, long warranty, premium nameplate. If I wanted leather and 200hp, the Type-S can be had for $22k. I paid $18.7k for a base model that came with a lot of stuff. No need for "Un-pimping" either.
 -

You finally soured on VAG products huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back