VOA - Mobil 1 ESP 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.aspx

This *is* 5w30 despite it being listed as 5w40...

e39139-001.jpg

Thanks much for posting. All of these "longLife" oils have low TBN's how do you get away with the long drains? The FP is good but I have seen PP, PU, M1 etc with high FP's and low Pour points. Why are these (Euro's) so special?

Very strange VOA. Looks like weak sauce if only the numbers in front of us are considered.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Very strange VOA. Looks like weak sauce if only the numbers in front of us are considered.

Perfect example of why we shouldn't consider "only the numbers in front of us."
wink.gif

Click the OP's link to Mobil's webpage for this oil, and look at its approvals. "Weak sauce" is not a phrase I would use.

As best as I can tell, two things are significantly different that can allow for long drains: TBN retention and Euro fuel management.

Euro gas cars in the US would eat through the TBN since we trade-off fuel consumption for emissions and have higher sulfur gas. Our diesel though is ultra low in sulfur.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: sangyup81
this is ESP not EP

This is a VW 507 oil, it gets changed every 10k.

These oils are designed for *up to* 30K km in sparker, and 50K km intervals in diesels. Depending on many variables of course...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: webfors

Perfect example of why we shouldn't consider "only the numbers in front of us."
wink.gif

Click the OP's link to Mobil's webpage for this oil, and look at its approvals. "Weak sauce" is not a phrase I would use.

Hence the if. I've read all about this oil on the M1 site. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I recommend that VW owners switch to the 5w40 Mobil 1 ESP Formula M, either before or after the end of the warranty period. It meets Daimler and BMW specs and not VAG, but it's got more a little more of the good stuff than this 5w30 ESP Formula. I suspect it would meet VAG specs if Mobil wanted to bother getting it certified.

Both of these oils are available at Pep Boys, but otherwise only from online vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back