Viscosity and temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
First post.
I have a 2008 Bobcat v518 telehandler that has a bit of a heating issue after prolonged use. In temperatures above 75-80f driving around with the hydro-static drive will cause the oil temps to heat up. I'm currently using fresh AW46 oil and the previous oil sample didn't show any issues. It has under 2000hrs. Should I be using AW68?
My question is- In a hydraulic system will the temps rise due to the heavy weight of an oil or too light?

ie; Light weight oil causing leakage/bypass friction from shearing, or heavy oil causing friction due to flow resistance?

I don't have to worry about cold temps, and the summer temps are in the high 80's or low 90's max. Very moderate temps here in the PNW.

I can't speak to the issue of what oil to use, but have you made sure that the oil cooler and radiator are completely clean? I have seen equipment overheat due to dirty cooling fins.

Can't say I've got an answer for you but
welcome2.gif

Take your seat in the asylum...

Doubt if relevant , but I worked at a foundry in the 1970's that had a bobcat front end loader . It used Dexron ATF for hydraulic fluid .

Can you get / do you have a factory manual for it ?

I like the idea of checking the oil cooler , radiator and fan .

The oil slowly will climb the gauge so when it gets too high i go for an extended coffee break. Having a background in the auto industry I have been minding the rad/cooler cleanliness and keeping the fins straight with an AC comb. Not much of a change in the problem.
From the manual (which comes in half French- randomly placed- over the important stuff)

"If (bobcat) fluid is not available, use 10w30 or 10w40 SAE Motor oil (5w-30 for 0*F [-18*C] and Below).
Do not use automatic transmission fluids in the Versahandler or permanent damage to the transmission will result."

Currently I have AW46 in it.

"Take your seat in the asylum..."

Thanks, but if you knew this machine you would realize that you're in MY asylum now.....
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back