Viscosity and HP, petro vs. syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sept 2004 issue of Car Craft has an article on pages 58-63 titled "A Slippery Subject".
The Latest Trends in Synthetic Engine Oil Technology.

A built 454 SMALL block Chevy is dyno'd using
1) petro 20w50. 2) QS Full Syn 10w30 3) QS Full Syn 5w20.

There is a very modest gain with this particular engine. At 5000 rpm a top gain from 522HP to 532HP was made going from 20w50 petro to 5w20 QS full syn. Any gains from 3000-6000 rpm other than
the plus at 5000 rpm were nearly insignificant. 1 to 6 HP

We are left wondering what brand of 20w50 petro was used, could be QS as well, but it goes unnamed. (?).

I'm risking a flaming because this article is NOT online (yet?). Just thought it may be worth picking up a copy if so inclined.

The gain in Hp could have resulted from simply using the lower viscosity fluid.

Synthetic? Havenen't seen the article but are these really synthetics or Group III fluids?

When I see all these "mineral vs. syn" horsepower comparisons, they always use a lower viscosity synthetic lube.

Hmmmm...
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
When I see all these "mineral vs. syn" horsepower comparisons, they always use a lower viscosity synthetic lube.

Hmmmm...
nono.gif

Isn't the rule of thumb that you can lower your viscosity whith synthetic? I've always thought that one of the advantages of using a synthetic is that you could go with a lower viscosity because it held up better than dino. That's why there is such a push these days for the lower 20 and 30 weights - lower viscosity = less parasitic loss = better fuel efficiency and hp gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back