Vibration at Speed

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
A while back I took a trip along Highway 50 in Nevada and did a few 100+ mph runs. When up around 100 moh the car has a subtle but noticeable vibration which is not evident at speeds below 80 mph, where I do most of my highway driving.

The vibration is not felt in the steering wheel, nor does the car body shake. It feels more like a low-level vibration running through the car. One might have such a feeling with bad motor mounts or a slightly out-of-balance tire. My mounts are new Toyota mounts, so I'd eliminate that as a problem.

Since the car drives smoothly at lower speeds, could what I'm feeling be the result of tire needing to be balanced or perhaps a defective or slightly out-of-round tire? An inspection of the tires didn't show any obvious defects but there could be some internal damage.

Besides tire/wheel issues, what else might be causing this vibration? Axle/transaxle issues? Some other suspension problems?

Thanks.

Do you feel the vibration by the floor where your feet is? It would be the axle.
The vibration didn't seem to be localized, but what about the axle? The CV joints are fine, no leaks or seeps, and, at the time, the other areas of the front suspension seemed fine. The car was on a lift and had the brakes, suspension, and undercarriage checked a few months prior to the Nevada trip, and all looked to be fine. What else might I check? Could there be an issue where the axle goes into the transaxle an area that's not seen with a visual inspection and might be missed with the usual pulling and pushing on components?

Sounds like you have an older car, and are looking for a problem that doesn't exist in your normal driving.

Lets assume you find and correct the problem. Will it make any difference if you do not regularly drive Route 50 at 100+ mph?

My wild guess is, a slightly shifted belt on a rear tire.

Slightly out of balance wheel(s), don’t show up until very high speed. Also, at 100 mph struts and shocks would have to be almost new to quell any slight wheel vibration. Sounds like your Camry is in decent shape.

Last edited:
Slightly out of balance wheel(s), doesn’t show up until very high speed. Also, at 100 mph struts and shocks would have to be almost new to quell any slight wheel vibration. Sounds like your Camry is in decent shape.
Put in new struts less than 10,000 miles ago, and they checked out OK on the last inspection. The car was smooth and steady the last time I took it 100, so unless something happened to the balance (which I understand can happen), that may not be the issue.

The car's not shiny but it's in very good condition with only a bit above 90,000 miles on the clock.

Last edited:
The vibration didn't seem to be localized, but what about the axle? The CV joints are fine, no leaks or seeps, and, at the time, the other areas of the front suspension seemed fine. The car was on a lift and had the brakes, suspension, and undercarriage checked a few months prior to the Nevada trip, and all looked to be fine. What else might I check? Could there be an issue where the axle goes into the transaxle an area that's not seen with a visual inspection and might be missed with the usual pulling and pushing on components?
Wiggle the axles are there any free play?

I'm kinda surprised & impressed it would do 100.

Shel, flat ground? downhill? tailwind? Feeling a little spicy that day? (y)
On every long highway trip I open 'er up at least once to see how she'll do. The first time I "topped the ton" I was surprised, and have since done it a few times. Of course, that's an indicated 100mph, I could have been going a lot faster

The Highway 50 drive was up hill, down hill, and level. Never checked the wind direction. The hills were gradual and I was driving at an elevation between 5,500 and 6,500 feet at the time.

Sounds like you have an older car, and are looking for a problem that doesn't exist in your normal driving.

Lets assume you find and correct the problem. Will it make any difference if you do not regularly drive Route 50 at 100+ mph?

My wild guess is, a slightly shifted belt on a rear tire.
Of course it makes a difference. If there is a problem it's quite possible it will get worse, or contribute to ancillary damage. I want to keep this car and I want to be able to depend on it in all circumstances. Problems, even if only minor, detract from my enjoyment of the car and comfort when traveling. I certainly don't want to think about having to deal with a problem when I'm far from services or in the middle of Nowhere.

1699052717843.jpeg
1699052812078.jpeg

As for the problem not existing in normal driving, well, just because it's not obvious when driving to the grocery store doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The last time I drove at such speed, the car was smooth and steady. So, somethings not right and I'd at least like to know what it is. I make several long road trips a year, so it'll come up again.

Thanks for your suggestion about the tire.

Back