Vespa

Thinking about selling my motorcycles which I don't ride much anymore and getting a Vespa 150 or so. I love to ride still but can't handle a bigger more powerful bike anymore. Always liked the timeless style and panache of Italian designed vehicles. Experience with the 'wasp'?

My motto is, 'on two wheels, once you get movin' the wind don't care.'

vespa.jpg

My motto is, 'on two wheels, once you get movin' the wind don't care.

Unless it is powered by your legs.....

Thinking about selling my motorcycles which I don't ride much anymore and getting a Vespa 150 or so. I love to ride still but can't handle a bigger more powerful bike anymore. Always liked the timeless style and panache of Italian designed vehicles. Experience with the 'wasp'?

My motto is, 'on two wheels, once you get movin' the wind don't care.'

View attachment 116164
Go with Vespa 300. Maybe @muddyboots can chime in with any tips or feedback on one. Below is his YT channel. That Vespa isn't much heavier than a 150, but a lot more capable for daily use, or even long trips.

Another option I would consider is Honda ADV150 or PCX, if you can forget about the Italian styling. Both of these can do 60-65MPH and get over 100MPG. Vespas can't touch these numbers in same engine size... And reliability (as well as parts availability) is much better on a Honda.
Honda-ADV-150-NEW.jpg
pcx.jpeg

Edit: this one is kind of unorthodox, but it is a proven and reliable option. Also the cheapest. Genuine Scooter Company makes Buddy 170i. Basically a Vespa clone (from the video above). Has a fuel injected 169cc engine with 11.2hp, 55MPH top speed, and gets 90MPG. Many of these examples are reliably hitting pretty high mileages, even with shady maintenance.
Buddy170-Black-Main.jpg

Genuine Scooter company also makes a mechanical twin of Vespa 300. Grand Prix 300S. Much cheaper than Vespa, full metal body, great styling. Most mechanical parts are interchangeable with Vespa 300. They're literally the same scooter, but in different outfits.
GP300S-Main-White-e1646149147700.jpg

Last edited:
The 2023 Honda ADV 150 will become the 160 with the 4 valve out of the PCX. If you want a super reliable scooter, then the Honda twins are the way to go. They’re plenty of other sub 300cc reliable scooters on the market though. Most of from Taiwan, either Kymco or SYM are big players.

SYM Fiddle IV 200cc

3712D29D-8598-4650-8C9C-7C6BF4DE5C86.jpeg

SYM Citycom S 300cc

86BAB38D-7B6A-4AAD-ADEE-E029BAEEDC5C.jpeg

I have always toyed with the idea of building a Vespa GS in Mod dress; mirrors, lights, etc. I listened to Quadrophenia way, way too much in my formative years.

"Ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat, wear my wartime coat in the wind and sleet..."

being older but still in good health i was looking into scooters, BUT i hate anything CVT!!! if bought new most riders will not need to do anything with that drive system. its slim pickens these days in the USA prolly due to lack of popularity + OTHER factors. looking at about 300cc or even the 400 that burgmans are + good storage is a plus. theres a genuine scooter dealer not too far for me + i like their looks but they lack storage. never rode one but guessing the midsize models would be an eze ride. some somewhat local dealers have NOTHING but looking to some stock in the coming months, retired + food for thought!

Back