Got a 2024 Kawasaki KLX300

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I've been looking at the KLX300 for a couple of years. Sold a bike I hardly ever rode anymore, so decided to sell it and get dual-sport bike. I've had a few non-street legal dirt bikes, but never a dual-sport. Decided to go traditional Kawasaki Green instead of the "Battle Gray" or "Cypher Camo Gray" colors ... they has too much black & gray for me. Also, with the green machine, it's much more visible which could be a good thing. They changed the body work (looks better IMO), went with black rims on the Green, and went with an LED headlight for 2024. The suspension feels pretty good right out of the box (it's adjustable too), and has 10.0 inches of travel up front (see last photo) and 9.1 inches of travel in the rear. The KLX300 of this design has been out since the 2021 model year, so any issues since then should be worked out, but from what I've read this bike has always been pretty trouble-free. A few photos ... I have a whole 88 miles so far (got it yesterday) and doing some break-in riding on the back roads. Transmission shift nice, haven't missed on gear yet, lol. Once broken in, it will be able to do 70-75 mph on the highway without getting crazy high in RPM if needed.

1694399682106.jpeg

1694399791694.jpeg

1694399951146.jpeg

1694399970985.jpeg

*whew* glad to see you didn't sell the XSR for this.

Welcome to the dual sport group!
Maybe this could later shoehorn in ADV later?

*whew* glad to see you didn't sell the XSR for this.

Welcome to the dual sport group!
Maybe this could later shoehorn in ADV later?
I'm going towards lighter and more flickable bikes. The XSR900 wieghs 425 wet with a full tank of gas, and the KLX weighs 302 wet with a full tank of gas. But the XSR has almost 4 times the HP, lol.

Those Duals have a following. Do you wear a full helmet with face shield or do you plan on getting a wind screen for the bike? What are the helmet laws in your town? Last bike I had was sold in 2015 & I don't think I'll get back into riding. I do have & still keep a bike roadside warranty through AMA though. $49 a year gives you unlimited bike tows up to 35 miles. You'll get a monthly magazine that is pretty cool. They started a throwback picture/story section that's neat to read.

That's a sweet bike! There is nothing like having a brand new bike and you know exactly how it's been maintained. I really like the green seat and black wheels. That bike will last a long, long time. Putting 88 miles on it in one day is pretty good for a bike that size. Congrats!

I've been looking at the KLX300 for a couple of years. Sold a bike I hardly ever rode anymore, so decided to sell it and get dual-sport bike. I've had a few non-street legal dirt bikes, but never a dual-sport. Decided to go traditional Kawasaki Green instead of the "Battle Gray" or "Cypher Camo Gray" colors ... they has too much black & gray for me. Also, with the green machine, it's much more visible which could be a good thing. They changed the body work (looks better IMO), went with black rims on the Green, and went with an LED headlight for 2024. The suspension feels pretty good right out of the box (it's adjustable too), and has 10.0 inches of travel up front (see last photo) and 9.1 inches of travel in the rear. The KLX300 of this design has been out since the 2021 model year, so any issues since then should be worked out, but from what I've read this bike has always been pretty trouble-free. A few photos ... I have a whole 88 miles so far (got it yesterday) and doing some break-in riding on the back roads. Transmission shift nice, haven't missed on gear yet, lol. Once broken in, it will be able to do 70-75 mph on the highway without getting crazy high in RPM if needed.
Sweet bike! Did you swing it under $6k?

Very nice! It’s been over 40 years since I sold my last motorcycle - and a dual sport just like that is on my list as a way to get back into riding.

Nice dual sport. Are you gonna change the tires to more a street type. If you only ride it on dry grounds but drive a lot on the highway consider a 90/10 or 80/20 tire for it. If you're using it on wet ground and trail riding 50/50 is still good. 20/80 and 30/70 is really for motocross which is what those tires look like.

Congratulations!

Ever since my H2 I've had a soft spot for Kawis and that's a nice looking one in traditional green livery - nice choice. I had a 'Zuke 400 dual sport, a big bore KTM dual sport and numerous BMW dual sports (if you can call a GS1200 a d.s. with a straight face). The lighter the better and the more fun in my book (unless you're piling on huge miles including on gravel roads).

Any farkles planned?

You sold your 'Busa for, for... THAT!?!?
I'm not sure we can talk anymore...
Congrats. I guess...
😁
LoL 😄 ... yes, I wish I could keep all my bikes, but the Busa just didn't get the attention it deserved. The new owner is thrilled with it and hopefully gets as much excitement out of it as I did. At least I turned the cash from the Busa into another bike that I can get some enjoyment out of. The XSR will still fill the void the Busa left behind. Did you end up buying a Gen3 Busa?

Those Duals have a following. Do you wear a full helmet with face shield or do you plan on getting a wind screen for the bike? What are the helmet laws in your town? Last bike I had was sold in 2015 & I don't think I'll get back into riding. I do have & still keep a bike roadside warranty through AMA though. $49 a year gives you unlimited bike tows up to 35 miles. You'll get a monthly magazine that is pretty cool. They started a throwback picture/story section that's neat to read.
I wear a full faced helmet. I need to buy an Adventure style helmet now, one with a clear shield and a built in flip-down sun shield. This state has a helmet law, but I'd wear one at all times regardless.

Sweet bike! Did you swing it under $6k?
All dealers are selling these new 2024 models at MSRP of $6,199. The left over 2023 models have a $400 discount from Kawasaki, but nobody around here has a left over 2023. The KLX300s sell pretty well. I like the changes they did on the 2024 anyway.

Last edited:
Nice dual sport. Are you gonna change the tires to more a street type. If you only ride it on dry grounds but drive a lot on the highway consider a 90/10 or 80/20 tire for it. If you're using it on wet ground and trail riding 50/50 is still good. 20/80 and 30/70 is really for motocross which is what those tires look like.
The tires look pretty aggressive for a dual-sport bike, but on the twisty back roads they work really good. Can't even tell they are "knobby" when on pavement. If you look at the last photo in post #1, you can see the wear marks are down to about 1/4 inch from the outer edge on the outside knobs from cornering/leaning, and when that far over on pavement it still feels planted, I think Kawasaki did a good job specifying a decent dual use tire.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Ever since my H2 I've had a soft spot for Kawis and that's a nice looking one in traditional green livery - nice choice. I had a 'Zuke 400 dual sport, a big bore KTM dual sport and numerous BMW dual sports (if you can call a GS1200 a d.s. with a straight face). The lighter the better and the more fun in my book (unless you're piling on huge miles including on gravel roads).
The KLX300 weighs 302 lbs with a full tank of gas, so pretty light for what it is. It feels super light compared to my XSR, which is light for what it is too (425 lbs wet).

Any farkles planned?
There's an ORV area (with various difficiulty roads, trails) about 30 miles from me, so I'll be able to ride it there and do some off-road riding. I use to ride in the dirt a lot, but not for a long time, so will ease into it once I get use to this bike.

Reactions: SR5
I wear a full faced helmet. I need to buy an Adventure style helmet now, one with a clear shield and a built in flip-down sun shield. This state has a helmet law, but I'd wear one at all times regardless.
I wore one & would wear one too at all times. I was curious about what folks do in your area... Thanks! MO now allows no helmet & there are many that don't now. I was going through AR when I took my wife down to Alabama on our Kawasaki 750 & got pulled over for no front headlight. I'd disabled it b/c the charging system was causing issue & draining the battery. Anyways, I told the officer that you require front headlight but no helmet & the officer stopped for a sec then proceeded to let us go with a "verbal warning" :LOL:.

Anyways, I love Kawasaki's & I've owned many of them (A true fanboi). I hope you don't mind that I share for my passion for them too here. This was my first bike (750) & last one I had 1500 Nomad. Loved the Fuel Injection and shaft drive. Do you plan to do offroad trails with your new kawasaki?

04 Vulcan03.JPG

04Kawasaki 010.JPG

Do you plan to do offroad trails with your new kawasaki?
Plan on riding it to an ORV (off road vehicle) park about 30 miles from me and do some off-road riding too. The main reason I wanted a dual-sport is so I can ride it on the roads to get to off road areas instead of hauling a non-street legal bike to the woods. The KLX300 will do 65-70 MPH if needed to without getting too hard on the engine.

Last edited:
Back