Valvoline Synpower Oil Treament

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:

What's the function of the polyisobutylene other than a heavy viscosity synthetic fluid that justifies the "synpower" label?

LOL,BTW, Motorbike, you told Marty/Brian that you were busy knitting a quilt while actually you were out in the garage dumping esters into your engine!
cheers.gif

You have a good memory
smile.gif

I always associated polyisobutylene with synthetic two stroke oils . Here it's spoke about briefly then hit applications and it tells of adding lubricity in motor oil formulas .

Hmmm , Might be a good additive for that plastic feeling M1
smile.gif
Funnin with the plastic thing..kinda sorta

http://www.txpetrochem.com/p/poly.htm

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:

how much does it cost? Where to buy? Can you tell I've never seen it.
wink.gif
This looks like a good add to beef up some 5w-30 I inherited
grin.gif

I bought this for 2.99 at Oreilly's . Have saw it at Autozones from 2.99 - 3.99 depending on the State it seems . Yep I told on myself , I went into a few parts stores on vacation this year
blush.gif
smile.gif

Yep on the 5w-30 as they seem to start thinning at around 2k miles .

That Mystik 5w-30 took on a different feel between the fingers with this stuff in it at 1 ounce to 5 quarts . I know , I know not a way to judge a oil
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
The FL1A is extra long compared to the PH16 I'm supposed to use.

Well now you have another option with the L40017!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Autozones from 2.99 - 3.99 depending on the State it seems .

Have not seen the Synpower OT cheaper than $3.99. Autozone and Pep Boys have it. I think Murrays too. The MLEP ranges up to $5.50. I took my four MLEP back to Walmart today and am going to wait for the Synpower to go on sale. I don't see where I can go wrong with a Valvoline add in Valvoline oil.

Hey, Wallmart had Champion engine treatment, synthetic stuff, no PFTE for around $12 a bottle. At that price, might as well just run all M1 I would think.

I like the Synpower stuff. I've used it with Delo. My Jeep runs quite well now. I use the whole 15 oz bottle in my 6 qt sump. I also run an extra long filter (FL1A equiv.) to hold the extra amount of oil.

help me understand here. by looking at the above additives the synpower oil treatment is by far a better additive compared to # 132 which has little if anything...what iam i missing?

The only thing you are seeing in VOA's are the elemental components. You CANNOT see non-metallic adds such as organic AW, EP, and FM modifiers.

The 132 has has a unique base oil (carrier) that acts as an organic surfactant and friction modifier. It also has organo-metallic AW/AO's as well.

VOA's will NOT show the organic components, such as say esterified AW or EP agents.

In terms of price/performance, I would say they are about equal today. When MEP was available at $2.94, it may have been a better buy, but not anymore.

BTW, we have to look at VOA's as baseline's only with a trending for UOA's of the product to determine its worth.

You CANNOT tell the TOTALITY of an oil by looking at a VOA. Common guys, how many times must that be stated?

How well would this "plan" work, you think?

This Synpower Oil Treatment: 5 oz.
plus MC 5/30 syn-blend: 5 qts
plus one 4.6L modular 1997 w/100k miles which is sort of short-driven...
plus one MC FL-820s filter
for the 5-6 winter months in NC?

any chance/fear of an additive-clash?
might it be too thick for winter(nc)?

Think this engine would be happy?
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Motorbike
This is the product in the grey 15 ounce bottle .

Iron 1
Aluminum 1
Lead 5
Tin 10
Sodium 3
Potassium 10
Moly 234
Boron 289
Calcium 85
Magnesium 24
Phos 1578
Zinc 1565
Antimony 30
wink.gif

VI @ 100c 232.7
VI Index 228
TBN 2.58

I think some of the metals come as a part of the Antimony " trio or tri " I forget .

And the red bottle 15 ounce Valvoline Maxlife Additive copied and pasted here from other samples posted previously for comparison in one link for an easier view .

Al 3
Silicon 0
Sodium 12
Potassium 11
Molybdenum 489
Phosphorus 567
Zinc 625
Calcium 240
Magnesium 57

TAN 0.9
TBN 8
VI @ 100c 15.3

The Schaeffer's # 132 Moly EP Treatment

Chromium 1
Nickel 1
Lead 3
Tin 1
Silver 0.3
Vanadium 3
Moly 23
Phosphorus 104
Zinc 6
Antimony 23

Vi @ 40c 2545.6
Vi @ 100c 238.5
VI Index 232
TAN 0.17
TBN 0.34

[ August 19, 2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Bump! Been looking for some stats on the red bottle since it's available at both Big Lots and Ollies here for a couple of buck$.

Thanks for the bump, just read this thread a few days ago.

I'm running 1/3 bottle VSOT in my '01 Saturn for additional Moly protection that should extend it's life.

The Moly is great for people who are looking for wear reduction.

With more people keeping cars longer due to the economy, anti-wear additives should be sought out.

VSOT delivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back