Valvoline Supersyn vs Castrol Edge tit for S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions here, gonna be doing an oil change this weekend. I currently am running 10w30 supersyn in my 08 s2000 that currently has 12,xxx miles on it. i was thinking of switching to castrol edge with titanium and i wanted to hear some thoughts on both etc.

info on the car
2008 s2k 12,xxx miles
car is mainly used spring/summer as weekend car
1-2 auto x's a year
stored for winter

Did you mean to say that your currently running Valvoline SynPower?

The only place that I've seen the term "Super Synthetic" mentioned in on the Mobil 1 website for their new line of SUPER synthetic oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
The only place that I've seen the term "Super Synthetic" mentioned in on the Mobil 1 website for their new line of SUPER synthetic oils.

About 10 years ago, give or take, M1 synthetic technology used to be called "SuperSyn". All the M1 bottles were branded with it. They may actually still be using this term in some countries...

107880_Enlarged_1.jpeg

Either the synthetic Valvoline or Castrol Edge 5W-30 would be fine.
And yes Honda did spec' a 10W-30 grade but that was assuming a mineral oil was being used. With a premium synthetic the 5W-30 grade is what you should be using and not the rather redundant 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Either the synthetic Valvoline or Castrol Edge 5W-30 would be fine.
And yes Honda did spec' a 10W-30 grade but that was assuming a mineral oil was being used. With a premium synthetic the 5W-30 grade is what you should be using and not the rather redundant 10W-30.

and if you dont mind me asking why is that?

Last edited:
5W-30 gives you better cold engine startup protection because the oil flows better while still giving you the same operating temp protection as 10w-30.

If I owned that car only a boutique real synthetic Redline 5w-30, Motul 300v, Fuchs silkolene, Pentosin, Joe Gibbs, Lucas racing 0w30. Everthing else is just weakly additised Walmart ILSAC Oil.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If I owned that car only a boutique real synthetic Redline 5w-30, Motul 300v, Fuchs silkolene, Pentosin, Joe Gibbs, Lucas racing 0w30. Everthing else is just weakly additised Walmart ILSAC Oil.

Same here. I'd want nothing but the best for that beast.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Same here. I'd want nothing but the best for that beast.

In which case of those brands I'd suggest Red Line 0W-20 (HTHSV 3.0cP, no VIIs), but honestly the well engineered S2000 doesn't put a lot of demands on motor oil and any 5W-30 OTC syn will more than do the job.

It's not just an S2000, its a Honda S2000.
Honda = will run forever on any 30 weight
grin.gif

Personally I've been using 0W-30's for years now, Shell and Amsoil.
Once you've started the engine, you'll notice the high revs - up to 2500 rpm - for a second.
If you do not park in a heated garage, a 0W will flow a little better those first seconds, especially when the temps drop.
I did notice the engine running smoother with 30 weight's, and smoother when cold with the 0W.
The timing chain does put some shear stress on the oil, the valve train doesn't - all rollers.
One UOA of the Shell proved a true syn can do at least 12k km without shearing out of grade.
I have no doubt the Amsoil does too.

cheers3.gif

The Asmoil 0W-30 while a fine oil won't offer any cold start advantage over the light 5W-30 syn's the OP is considering for his climate. The reason is they all have much the same VI and HTHSV.

I agree with SpitfireS and CATERHAM, S2000 is easy on oil and run forever with any decent xW30, dino or syn. I just lengthen the OCI with syn. There is no need to use boutique oil in a S2000.

I will use either ratio 3:2 or 4:1 M1 0W20-0W40 in my S2000 for the next oil change.

Last edited:
How long do you run between drains?
Synpower may not be suited to long runs, but is otherwise very good oil.
Edge SN is not widely admired by those who liked Edge in the original SM formulation.
So, of the two, I'd probably use Synpower.
Incidentally, I'd stay with a 10W-30.
Honda had a reason for recommending that grade over the 5W-30 or 5W-20 oils it recommended for every other car engine of the same era.
Honda does know engines, and both the 2.0 and 2.2 S2000s are outstanding examples of this.
I'd be inclined to use what the masters of the inline four recommend.

Originally Posted By: dedonderosa
Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions here, gonna be doing an oil change this weekend. I currently am running 10w30 supersyn in my 08 s2000 that currently has 12,xxx miles on it. i was thinking of switching to castrol edge with titanium and i wanted to hear some thoughts on both etc.

info on the car
2008 s2k 12,xxx miles
car is mainly used spring/summer as weekend car
1-2 auto x's a year
stored for winter

I have no experience with Synpower in the F22C1 engine. But I'm in the early stages of evaluating Edge with Ti and everything looks promising so far. Here is a UOA:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2471353

I have another fill of 5W-30 in it now for a one year/5K mile OCI. But I'm not sure if I'll test it. The company sent me another case of 10W-30 (at my request) to evaluate, so I'll probably wait until that oil is taken out of service.

The bottom line is that if you want to try this engine oil, I don't think you will be disappointed. And since I'm a 10W-30 fan for this engine for fair weather driving, that's an excellent SAE viscosity to start with.

i was gonna use some 5w30 castrol edge ti but i just feel more comfortable using 10w30 over 5w30 maybe im just too anal. The garage is not heated but it really doesnt get that cold in there, also i change the oil once a year which is only about 3500 miles MAX per year. But lemme ask you this is there going to be any real difference between 5w30 and 10w30 when its heated up? i would assume no because there both 30 weights correct me if im wrong?

Originally Posted By: dedonderosa
i was gonna use some 5w30 castrol edge ti but i just feel more comfortable using 10w30 over 5w30 maybe im just too anal. The garage is not heated but it really doesnt get that cold in there, also i change the oil once a year which is only about 3500 miles MAX per year. But lemme ask you this is there going to be any real difference between 5w30 and 10w30 when its heated up? i would assume no because there both 30 weights correct me if im wrong?

You are correct they have the same viscosity hot but the 10W-30 is heavier at ALL temp's on start-up due to it's lower viscosity index.

The 10W-30 is really a dino oil grade that is redundant in the move to synthetic oil.
The reasons way was discussed in more detail in the following thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2503205&page=1

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Incidentally, I'd stay with a 10W-30.
Honda had a reason for recommending that grade over the 5W-30 or 5W-20 oils it recommended for every other car engine of the same era.

I assume you know the F20 was released in 1999, when the common 5W-30 wasn't that shear stable and xxW-20 oils weren't available at all, resulting (IMO) in the 10W-30 recommendation.
Also, Honda recommends a 5W-40 - yes, a thicker oil in general - for colder climate's, what is at best kinda weird.
Unless one takes the 5W into account, so the oil would be thinner at a cold (below -20C) start than the 10W-30.
This is not opinion, its fact.
Personally I have noticed the F20 engine likes thinner oils at (any) start-up.
It also runs a lot smoother into the higher revs with a 30 weight.
1 + 1 = 0W-30
smile.gif

Honda never changed any oil recommendation in the S2000 manual.
All the oils they recommended for the MY'99/MY'00 were in the last manual printed.
Honda never bothered to do the research on xxW-20 oils for the F20/F22.
Btw, the F22 was never sold in Europe, so all the S2k's in Europe have the F20.
Actually, I've seen 1 (maybe 2) UOA's of 5W-20's used in a F22 without any disturbing results.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back