Valvoline MaxLife. After 500 miles, it is yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Looks like oil.If milky there is a problem.

Yeah, it is oil. But it is as yellow as a Cheerios box.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Looks like oil.If milky there is a problem.

Yeah, it is oil. But it is as yellow as a Cheerios box.

And that is no joke...he and I can't be the only 2 that have noticed this.

Mobil 1 always looked a bit yellow to me..
I wouldn't worry about it.

I haven't used valvoline products in years, are they decent?

I've been using mobil5000 since its 9 bucks a 5 quart jug.

I never have used the white bottle Valvoline oil.

I have used Maxlife in older engines, and it does quiet them down and slow oil consumption.

I am currently using Synpower in my dad's Pontiac G6 2.4L, and this is the quietest it has ever run. M1, Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil XL7500, and Super Tech synthetic have also been used in it.

I typically use Valvoline 75w140 gear oil because it is the easiest to find.

I also use Valvoline Dexron VI because it is the least expensive full synthetic ATF.

i am using maxlife synthetic blend 5w-30 in my 2002 dodge caravan 3.3L since early august, i've put exactly 1000 miles into it so far..

so far the color of my maxlife is still a very nice brown color. it looks practically new :) ... for it to be "bright yellow" i would be very very worried cause i never seen or heard of anything like that.. maybe your getting antifreeze into the oil? i know sometimes when coolant leaks into the oil, it changes the color of the oil dramatically.

The paper towel that I used to check the oil was laying in the back of my truck.

Unfortunately, my digital camera is screwing up the yellow color. It is a brighter yellow, more like the color of a yellow highlighter marker.

MaxLife004.jpg

disregard my above post..

that color is completely perfectly normal. thats about the same color as my maxlife right now after 1000 miles. of course it doesnt look yellow when its on the dipstick, just when you wipe it. also try wipeing it with a rag(or a cloth) instead of paper towel, you will probably see a slight difference too. i use a rag and mind is usually slightly more brownish then yours.

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
Blackstone's going to need to start testing for depleted uranium now eh?

Well Castrol GTX had tungsten as a anti-wear additive back in the day.

Friendly. Thanks for the thread resurrection.

Vehicle - 2000 Pontiac Grand Am - 2.4 liter L4, 79,000 miles.
Oil - Valvoline Max Life 5w-30
Filter - AC Delco PF46

I changed the oil in the above vehicle 500 miles ago, after buying it last week.

I checked the oil last night (I'm monitoring it closely to determine if it is using oil), and noticed that the oil is really yellow. It is not milky or cloudy, but it is the color of a bottle of Pennzoil.

Is that typical for MaxLife? I've just never really seen an oil turn a yellow color in the crankcase, but have never really used any of the high mileage oils.

Maybe someone took a leak in your crank case. Do you have many enemies?

Sorry, that was my attempt at lame humor again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back