valvoline max life 10w30 in jeep 4.0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was wondering if this max life 10w30 is great for my grand cherokee 4.0? max life is a thick 30wt from what i hear.im going to use it with a fram double gard oil filter (I KNOW FRAM)it was fram or st(wal-mart)that all they carry,anyway i didn't buy the ST becouse they seem to gotten smaller and i didn't want to buy a regular fram ,but frams look bigger(normal size)so i bought the double gard that seems to be better made,and i have heard here that double gards are actually decent filters.what mileage should i go on this oil and filter combo?
bowdown.gif

The High Mileage 10-30s are thick thirty weights.I'd run a Purolator or Wix next time. I'd change the oil between 3-5000 miles. Will that engine accept the large Fram PH8 like the Wrangler 2.5 does?

The Maxlife is a good bet for your application. My uncle runs it in his 1995 Jeep 4.0 and has well over 200K on that motor.

Fram Double Guard should be called "Double Crap." It is nothing more than the crappy orange can but with Teflon, which is a very controversial additive. A Supertech filter is probably the best thing that Walmart sells. For the same money as that Double Guard, you can get a PureOne or Wix, but you'll have to go to a parts store.

Summary: Maxlife is good, Fram Double Guard=
crushedcar.gif

The tech data sheet shows Maxlife at 10.5 cSt 100C whichi is typical 10w30, not on the thick side. You can thicken by adding one quart 10w40 Maxlife to the mix. Now the Synthetic Maxlife 10w30 is listed at 11.5 cSt.

TallPaul,

Is Maxlife a Group 2 or 3 oil ?
Does the SL version have a better 'add pack' than the SM ?

From the last time I looked at the MSDS it appeared to be Group I (if I understood the CAS number right) and 12-22% PAO. The SL has served me nicely (4400 miles in two weeks with motorhome and very nice UOA). SM has reduced zddp, as expected, but also has 290 ppm moly that was not listed for the SL. I think it is still great stuff.

Have a look at my UOA with Chevron 10W30 High Mileage in my Jeep. It actually is a thick 30 and if you can get it, it's a good deal for around $2 or so a quart. Can you find Chevron in NC? I lived there my entire life except the last 5 years, and don't remember seeing any. But Havoline is about the same stuff.
Go get a Purolator, Wix or Napa Gold filter.
From my own peeking at UOA's on the 4.0, regular Valvoline 10W30 did the best among dino oils, with the Chevron close behind....

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002352#000000

I just put the Havoline High Mileage 10W30 in my 4.0 Jeep Comanche (1990 w/157K). I was replacing Delo 15W40. The 10W30 miles the engine very smooth and was actually quieter at idle than the 15W40. It runs great. I probably won't ever run anything else in this 4.0 until it bites the dust.

I am using a Purolator filter and 6 quarts of the Havoline HM 10W30. I would highly recommend it. I have heard good things about the Maxlife, but I don't have any experience with it. Havoline HM is found at AdvanceAuto at ~$2/quart. You won't be sorry.

i guess i'll go back tomorrow and get my money back(4.68) for the filter and then go get a wix or napa gold filter wich thats what i use in my f150 4.6 thanks for keeping me in line
worshippy.gif

by the way in the next few days im going to change the oil in the g.c.and i'm going to send it for uoa should be interesting since i have not seen any trop artic semi-synthetic reports.the oil has a full 3k and 3 months the oil is SM rated.this oil was purchased at the dollar store.so hopefully by the end of next week i should have it.

quote:

Originally posted by aztec12:
i guess i'll go back tomorrow and get my money back(4.68) for the filter and then go get a wix or napa gold filter wich thats what i use in my f150 4.6 thanks for keeping me in line
worshippy.gif

I think a Motorcraft filter will fit your engine and it's a pretty good filter for usually about $3.50 each.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

Originally posted by aztec12:
worshippy.gif

I think a Motorcraft filter will fit your engine and it's a pretty good filter for usually about $3.50 each.

Paul, say it ain't so!

You're telling him to put a gulp> Ford product on that wonderful Chrysler motor...........Oh the humanity
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Darryl
cheers.gif

You can get the longer version Purolator L40017 (Motorcraft FL299) and it has the threaded end bypass valve. I run them on my motorhome and F150.

Use the Valvoline Maxlife 10-30. I have used it many times, now I am using the Synthetic version from my Feb stash buying frenzy at AZ.

The dino, mentioned already, does have PAO in it, though not marketed as a "blend".

I think Maxlilfe dino and syn is one of Valvoline's best products.

Go for it.

I think WalMart has 5qt jugs for $8.98. You cant beat that IMO.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back