Valvoline Advance Full Synthetic 5w-20 no longer DEXOS approved. . . .

This may be old news, but I didn't realize that Valvoline no longer has DEXOS approval on their 5w-20 advanced full synthetic, not that it matters with my vehicles (I don't own any GM). I only noticed after comparing the new packaging to an older jug I had in my stock. I checked the Valvoline and DEXOS approval websites and verified it. I guess 5w-20 is a rather redundant grade, considering that 0w-20 is spec'd for most newer vehicles these days. FYI.

IMG_20220415_161458.jpg

No, there are plenty of 5W-20 oils listed from other manufacturers. I notice that Mobil-1 doesn't have much to offer with Dexos 1, Gen 3 either.

What would be news is GM requiring 5w20 in one of their vehicles. Unil that happens Dexos approvals for that grade of oil are irrelevant. This is old news like water is wet and the sky is blue.
The fact that 5w-20 oils were once Dexos approved, implies that some GM vehicles required that grade at some point. Maybe that's not the case, but it's what induced me to create this thread. Did GM back-spec all of their vehicles that required 5w-20 to 0w-20, making 5w-20 unnecessary?

Interesting thread. I wonder if other brands that also had 5w20 dexos approval will follow suit. Or, as Robster mentions, it isn't up to the oil producers but GM

Before our current leader took over, some people thought it was funny to put dexos approved stickers on jugs of Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5w20. Now they have moved on to those "I did that." stickers at the gas station, thus leaving Valvoline high and dry.

Makes me wonder why Ford still uses 5W-20? From everything I've ever seen on here OW-20 can replace 5W-20.
Why even make 5W-20 oil if OW-20 is virtually identical at operating temperature and better flow at cold temperature?

Seems GM just doesn't even bother with 5W-20 oils.

Makes me wonder why Ford still uses 5W-20? From everything I've ever seen on here OW-20 can replace 5W-20.
Why even make 5W-20 oil if OW-20 is virtually identical at operating temperature and better flow at cold temperature?

Seems GM just doesn't even bother with 5W-20 oils.
Dodge still uses it in their Rams, no idea why.

Back