Valve cover sealant

My wife's 2004 Accord 2.4l four cylinder needs a new valve cover gasket. I bought a new gasket and grommets from an online Honda parts website. I have the shop manual for the car. The manual states that liquid gasket Honda part number 08718-0009 (Ultra Flange Sealant ii) must be applied to chain case and the #5 rocker shaft holder mating areas. The stuff is expensive for the amount I need, so what can I use as a substitute? Also, since this is a 4 cylinder engine, and the manual section is for the 4 cylinder engine, what is the #5 rocker shaft holder mating area?

Thanks!

For replacing the valve cover gasket on Hondas, you typically only need a dab of RTV at the four corners where the crescent arch portion of the head meets the gasket. You can use Permatex Ultra Gray RTV or the black/gray Permatex Right Stuff instead of the Honda 08718-009 sealant or Hondabond RTV.

I think the #5 rocker shaft mating area is the front passenger side portion of the head casting. The five RTV application locations are shown starting around the 17:00 mark of this video.

Last edited:
1685212032188.png

A little bit of this at the mating point of surfaces.

You can get it from AAP: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...6pmx/11263885-P?searchTerm=permatex+ultragray

Then give it a few hours or a day to dry and harden. Oil will dissolve it if it's NOT dried.

Last edited:
There is also Toyota fipg but that may be expensive like the Honda stuff. I would imagine you can just use black rtv from the parts store.

If you can afford to wait, the $6 tubes of Ultra Gray from Walmart are perfect for this application. You only need two pea-sized drops where the timing cover/head/valve cover intersect.

Ultra Gray says 24 hr before refilling with fluids, but I’ve found that 12 hrs is usually enough if it’s a new, fresh tube.

I really appreciate all of the knowledge and suggestions. I'll pick up a tube of the Permatex Ultra Grey. Thanks!

I really appreciate all of the knowledge and suggestions. I'll pick up a tube of the Permatex Ultra Grey. Thanks!
For future reference, Permatex "Right Stuff" RTV can be exposed to oils/fluids immediately while the Ultra Gray/Black RTV requires a minimum of 12 - 24 hrs. to cure before it is oil resistant. Many shops will use the Right Stuff to get the vehicle back to the customer immediately without an extra overnight stay.

I’d look for Ultra Black. I’m sure gray is fine too just I can’t recommend it as I’ve never used it. Black is my go to for oil related stuff. Not sure the difference in the black and gray. But the black has never failed me.

Blake, the Ultra Grey is a bit thicker in viscosity than the Ultra Black and is designed for higher torque applications. Ultra Black is supposedly more resistant to oil, but I have never experienced any perceptible difference. Here is the application guide from Permatex.

1685288291163.jpg
1685288354834.jpg

Last edited:
Back