"V" speed with a "B" Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at one of the trendy new low rolling resistance "green" tires on Tirerack...more specifically, the Bridgestone Ecopia EP 100. This tire is available in H and V speed ratings, but the temperature rating is B for all tires. I don't recall ever seeing a V (or H) rated tire with anything lower than A for temperature.

Lots of middle of the road cars call for H and V rated tires. My Accord does. So as economy cars call for those sizes, you'll start to see more questionable quality tires in those speed grades.

I'm sure Civics, Prii, Mazda 3's and maybe even the fit, cars people buy for fuel economy, require these grades.

Looks like a low rolling resistance tire to me. I wouldn't buy it.

There are so many good tires out there that buying anything with a B Temp rating is a bad idea.

I'd look for something with a T speed rating and A traction A temperature instead, or H speed rating AA traction A temperature.

My 07 Accord came with V rated tires. Just replaced them with michelin Primacy H rated tires.. Temp rating is an A. I think that most Michelin tires are rated A for temp...

OK, some background:

The UTQG temperature rating is what we in the US wound up with because our boys in Washington couldn't stomach a European based speed rating system. Sort of a "Not Invented Here" situation.

The test requirements for UTQG and speed rating are somewhat different - and you get somewhat different results, but the rank order comes out pretty much the same.

I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I think that tires with a "C" temperature rating were S or unrated, while "B" rated tires were S or T speed rated and H and higher all got "A" ratings - but I don't think this was a very clean cut. The cut off points are different.

So I think that V speed rating should have been labeled an "A", but there is no legal requirement to label it correctly - but there is a legal requirement that it not be OVER rated!

BTW, look at Tire Rack and you will find plenty of Michelin tires with a "B" temperature rating in the "Passenger All Season" category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back