UTOA 08 Ford F150 5.4v FX4 87,800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone this UTOA on my 08 Ford F150 5.4v FX4 4x4 with 87,800 miles on the transmission oil, I bought the truck used at about 75k mark and started doing all the maintenance myself, the previous owner did alot of highway driving and minimal towing. He was religious about following the factory maintenance plan with everything and well Ford does not say to change the transmission fluid till 150k, In my own opinion think that is to long. So I decided to drop the pan and change the filter and fluid also clean off the magnet in the pan. By doing this you only get 5.5 quarts out of a total 14 quart capacity transmission when you add whats in the torque converter and cooler lines ect. I replace the filter with a Motorcraft and the 5.5 quarts with Valvoline Mercon V. This UTOA is the factor fill Motorcraft Mercon V. The analyst said the iron was high and the check for abnormal noise/performance. The transmission drives and shifts flawlessly. Any recommendations? Thanks, Cody

Code:
Motorcraft Mercon V

DATE TAKEN 2/7/2012

Aluminum 14

Chromium 0

Iron 150

Copper 146

Lead 33

Tin 8

Moly 0

Nickel 6

Manganese 7

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 9

Boron 58

Silicon 12

Sodium 10

Calcium 158

Magnesium 1

Phosphorus 175

Zinc 37

Visc 100 C 6.6

Water Negative

Anti- Freeze Negative

Fuel Negative

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Never been changed so I would expect to see "high" wear metals. What did B_S have to say.

They just said the iron was high check performance ect..lol

Originally Posted By: Donald
Did you get the TAN? You should for ATF.

You need to do more to complete a total fluid exchange.

Add a Magnefine inline filter.

No I did not, [censored] I am an amateur at this stuff. I do plan on doing a couple more pan drops to get all the old fluid out. I have read mixed thing about the Magnefine inline filter.

You are fine if that is indeed factory fill fluid; very normal to see those kinds of numbers. You are essentially seeing all the break-in material still floating around. Good idea to flush out the FF fluids sooner rather than later.

Might want to consider doing the diffs, t-case and power-steering fluid too.

Sounds like you got a gem, frankly. Highway miles are the easiest on the rig. Previous owner followed the OEM maintenance; nothing wrong there either. You're likely to continue getting excellent service from the truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
You are fine if that is indeed factory fill fluid; very normal to see those kinds of numbers. You are essentially seeing all the break-in material still floating around. Good idea to flush out the FF fluids sooner rather than later.

Might want to consider doing the diffs, t-case and power-steering fluid too.

Sounds like you got a gem, frankly. Highway miles are the easiest on the rig. Previous owner followed the OEM maintenance; nothing wrong there either. You're likely to continue getting excellent service from the truck.

Sweet good to know, I have already done the transfer case I put Amsoil Atf in it. Still need to do the front and rear diffs I have some Amsoil severe gear for both. Yeah previous owner was very good to the truck always using good quality oil, and all highway.

I think your UOA was good considering it was factory fill. A particle count would have been even more telling. A factoid for you: an automatic will generate 75 percent of its lifetime total of contaminants in the first 5000 miles of operation due to break in materials and what was built in during manufacturing. Once you filter that stuff out, or change the oil, you are home free in many ways.

In reality, the MerconV in there is pretty robust oil and it was likely OK, just loaded with contaminants. A TAN test would have shown for sure about the oil. I make this point because additional filtration via the cooler lines can keep the contaminant level low so that the full life of the fluid can be obtained.

The only negative thing you may have heard about the Magnefine that's true is that there was a period when some of them seeped. That seems no longer to be the case. I am using Magnefines on virtually every automatic and Power Steering system I own and some of my previous posts will show you the before and after particle counts. In my case, they took used ATF and cleaned it up to the same cleanliness level as virgin oil in just a few hundred miles.

If you relate some of the things you have heard about the Magnefine, I can probably shed some light on the subject and give you confidence. There are other choices of filters as well.

Look Here for more info on tranny filtration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back