Using USED oil as a top off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my oil drinking Accord running on mainly used oil for 3-4 years. Clean the drain pan, wipe off around the oil pan bolt beforehand, drain. If the oil filter can come off without dumping oil down the side of something dirty I remove that too. I put the old oil in the newly empty jugs. I don't totally empty the used oil jug into the car to reduce the odds of something that sank to bottom going in, like say a bug.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I still got a small stash of ... and plenty of ...... It's bad enough having to find room to store all of it, I'm not going to keep used oil around.

Ain't that the truth. My fight is to not buy more oil until I use up what I have.

If it is burning oil at a good rate them maybe, but otherwise it's like trying to wipe your a$$ with dirty toilet paper
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You can use this for filtering it.

http://www.amazon.com/Singed-Polyester-Felt-Filter-Micron/dp/B003EE8N62

How much oil will these filter before plugging up?

How slowly does the oil flow through the filter, that is to say: If I want to filter a gallon of oil, how long is it going to take?

To the question at hand: I accidentally over filled my tractor and had to drain a gallon out. Being that the oil has about 20hrs on it, and a gallon has been added, there is lots of life left in the oil. But since I drained the excess out the bottom when the engine was cold, all the suspended soot was at the bottom of the pan. I'm going to reuse the oil but filtering it would be the best.

Originally Posted By: Moondawg
Good Idea. A penny saved is a penny earned.

That saying is from when a penny was worth something. There's also penny wise, pound foolish.

There's a lot of extremes on here, people changing synthetic oil at 3k and now people want to reuse oil used motor oil. Why bother changing the oil if you're going to reuse it? The cost of that filter would probably pay for several quarts of oil.

That saying is from when a penny was worth something. There's also penny wise, pound foolish.

There's a lot of extremes on here, people changing synthetic oil at 3k and now people want to reuse oil used motor oil. Why bother changing the oil if you're going to reuse it? The cost of that filter would probably pay for several quarts of oil.

THIS ^^^^^^

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

THIS ^^^^^^

That's basically the point I was trying to make earlier. If you decided to change your oil, then you must have thought it was no longer suitable for service. So why would you now turn around and pour it right back into the crankcase?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Without records of UOA's you don't know when that is..

Yet you do know that the oil is still good enough to dump it back into the engine?

Make up your mind.

If it pours without lumps, it's fine... Anyway so what if the oil is spent? In most beaters will soon be burned...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

THIS ^^^^^^

That's basically the point I was trying to make earlier. If you decided to change your oil, then you must have thought it was no longer suitable for service. So why would you now turn around and pour it right back into the crankcase?

It's no doubt a BITOG thing, maybe ought to take up some other hobby that doesn't include a dipstick??

Sounds like we need an oil Co-Op! Most of my used oil comes from people who change full synthetics in newer Honda's at 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Since we all pretty much change oil before the oil's E.O.L., if oil needs added after O.C.(leaks, burning, etc.), then why not save some used filtered oil from previous O.C. to top off?

If oil were really dear, this idea might have some merit for the truly cheap or impecunious.
In a country where you can buy oil meeting any spec for less than $2.50/qt if you pay any attention, why bother with the potential trouble?
It's not as though you'd be saving any real money.
If one has a real leaker/burner, farm oriented chains typically offer their store brand oil on sale, especially in the 15W-40 grade, for well under a buck and a half a quart.
You'd save so little using used oil of unknown quality, and you have no idea what the viscosity, TBN, TAN and additives are that it hardly seems worth bothering with.
Lots of risk for little return.

Good for OP! The more we can safety recycle the better. Whether using penzoil for 7k+ Or M1 for 15k or more, there is no reason to throw away good oil. Who throws tires away with 50% tread still remaining?

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Who throws tires away with 50% tread still remaining?

If its winter tires, i do.

Last three sets of tyres I've replaced had plenty of tread...one set had gone hard, and two had cracked up in Australia's weather...

My point exactly....your tires were "used up" by time rather than miles. Same can be said of oil. No need to throw away still usable oil.

If you'd been draining your bottles from each change there'd likely be enough to top off...

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

Sounds like we need an oil Co-Op! Most of my used oil comes from people who change full synthetics in newer Honda's at 5000 miles.

Huh, ain't no Honda's in my driveway and I generate 20 gallons of used oil a year, minimum ...

I don't think "most" used oil comes from any small cars. Most comes from fleets with 10 and 20 gallon sumps ... Like daily driven delivery trucks that can wrack up 10K in 6 months easy...

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Good for OP! The more we can safety recycle the better. Whether using penzoil for 7k+ Or M1 for 15k or more, there is no reason to throw away good oil. Who throws tires away with 50% tread still remaining?

... Okay, so if I take your argument, and use the OP's logic on it. Why don't you save the old tires that you just took off your car because they needed to be replace, so you can put them back on the car later on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back