Using oil 1998 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen it too many times to count!! A lot of Toyota Dealerships in the souths will not even keep 5W30 on hand and surely will not get it in bulk .

Well, I got rid of the Citgo 10w40 in the Corolla (Prizm) 1.8L this morning and put in some Pennzoil High Mileage 10w30 ($8 for 5 quarts at Wally's). I'll keep an eye on the consumption, but so far after driving around most of the morning and letting it cool off, I noticed once I started it again that it seemed quieter and smoother at idle. Cold starts were what was getting to me the most, and it seems to be at least slightly improved. Now let's see if it does anything else..

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
I have a 2005 Corolla with the 1.8 and drive it mostly at 70 mph (2900 rpm) and with 10,500 miles on the engine,

I wonder if going to Mobil 1 would the makeup oil useage get worst since it's thinner???

I need help....
gr_eek2.gif

Cheers, Bill

I have a 2005 Corolla too, ran factory fill to like 2000 miles, ran SuperTech 5W-30 to 4800 miles, and am using 3) 5W-30 M1 and 1) 0W-30 M1 with a couple ounces of Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment. I have about 7000 miles on now, and haven't used a drop in those 2000 miles. I do a lot of two and four lane highway driving for work, probably about 1/4 of the time at 70mph. I plan on getting a UOA at 5000 miles and leaving it in according to those recommendatations.

Maybe its the SynPower, but M1 XW-30 doesn't seem like its burning off.

G

QuickLude had real interesting results on use of 0-30 and 0-40 XD3 use in his PSD, his results showed less shearing on 0-30 XD3 than 0-40 XD3.

My Nissan service manager who is a very long term seasoned mechanic who also worked in Toyota shop was happy with my XD3 choice in oil for my Nissan.

He told me he has recommended and used XD3 since early 70's. When customers or friends come to him with problems of sticky rings etc. he then recommends two OCI's with XD3, if that does not fix problem then real trouble shooting starts.

Also, my Esso Agent tells me XD3 syn oil greatly reduces oil consumption in their positive feed back from happy XD3 converters.

I use 0-40 in my Cummins Dodge and 0-30 in my Nissan, at about $4.00 per liter, cant be beat. 100% POA, the 0-30 has TBN of 12.2 and Visc. at 100C of 12, the 0-40 is visc of 15.7, but QuickLude may point out the 0-30 did great for him. XD3 is CI-4/SL, it is for gassers.

I think this oil may do some maintenance, reduce consumption and give -60F or -48C protections, tough act for any oil to follow for $4.00 litre IMO.

Cyprs

I am talking about high millage oil consuption like 120,000 miles on up especialy if neglected. Freq. oil changes with 10W30 or better or synthetic oil in the 30Wt area and better. Stay away from 5W30 dino and the longer normal usage oil change interval with dino. Just my $.02

Toyota's have always liked 40Wt.'s and in Japan they recomend 5W40 for just about everything they make. Even a group III 40Wt. like Rotella-T synthetic 5W40 for $12 a gallon at Walmart works great. It does not have to cost you an arm and a leg.

I have never tried XD-3 0W30! I know the Canadains posters sure do love it though. I would give it try it can not hurt!

quote:

Toyota's have always liked 40Wt.'s and in Japan they recomend 5W40 for just about everything they make.

I always thought the American Toyota's were made for US driving conditions and not in Japan.

No, Most of Toyota's engines see worldwide usage. Sure they offer some unique products just in Japan but most of the models outside of Japan use the same engines globaly! The still import most of their powertrains from Japan as far as I am aware. They are working on building more engines and transmissions here though. It does not matter where they build them they still design them the same. It cost too much to have a lot of engines that are unique to various markets. The main thing you do not see in the USA currently is lots of super high reving turbo applications and diesels that make up most of the European and Asian market. We see more of their gas V8's and V6's then most markets do!

Group III 5W40's are huge in Japan!!! You also see Honda useing a lot of 5W40's in Japan as well.

P.S. Outside of the USA you can get the Corolla with a diesel. I belive you can also get a OEM tuner version of the Corolla with the Celica GT's High Output 1.8 and the 6spd gear box with Brembo brakes.

My wifes 1998 Corolla has always used oil. Bought it with 38K on the odometer and discovered it used almost 1 qt per 1000 miles. Never any smoke out the tail or puddles on the ground. Has always been a mystery. Only fault is that it throws the check engine light about every 70K for the O2 sensors, which is when they are recommended to be changed anyway. Currently going on 170K with no other problems. Due to the oil usage, have used whatever is cheapest. Mainly that has been the Wally World Super tech stuff. Slowly have progress up from using 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 and now am using 15W-40 HDEO Supertech. the 15W-40 seems to have slowed down the oil usage problem but it is still there. May try 20W-50 next change and now that what "winter" we get in South Texas has past.

Hootbro

Hoot,

Change the PCV if you havn't already.

John,

The Tacoma and some of the other engines are cast here in the USA.

I am using about 1 quart in 3000 miles with the 4-Runner. I had next to no consumption when I was running Castrol GTX 4 years ago, 60,000 miles.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 13600
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 10w30 ODO 94100
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:
My wifes 1998 Corolla has always used oil. Bought it with 38K on the odometer and discovered it used almost 1 qt per 1000 miles. Never any smoke out the tail or puddles on the ground. Has always been a mystery. Only fault is that it throws the check engine light about every 70K for the O2 sensors, which is when they are recommended to be changed anyway. Currently going on 170K with no other problems. Due to the oil usage, have used whatever is cheapest. Mainly that has been the Wally World Super tech stuff. Slowly have progress up from using 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 and now am using 15W-40 HDEO Supertech. the 15W-40 seems to have slowed down the oil usage problem but it is still there. May try 20W-50 next change and now that what "winter" we get in South Texas has past.

Hootbro

Wow, you really need to know when to use thick heavy oils like that.

20w50 in a 4 banger is pretty ridiculous.

My Nissan manual does say that I can go to 10-40 in weather above -18C in my QR25DE X-Trail,
but it highly recommends a 5-30 oil for "all" year round usage. I have no fear with XD3 0-30
year round, the 100C visc is 12 and TBN of 12.2, this 0-30 XD3 syn is a heavy oil to start with, 10-30 SuperFlo has TBN of 8.6 and 100C visc at 10.1 for over $2.00 litre more, XD3 0-30 IMO is a hot summer oil too. It gets 100F or +42C here in summer, I have no fear using this 0-30 year round.

Cyprs

quote:

I use 0-40 in my Cummins Dodge and 0-30 in my Nissan, at about $4.00 per liter, cant be beat. 100% POA, the 0-30 has TBN of 12.2 and Visc. at 100C of 12, the 0-40 is visc of 15.7, but QuickLude may point out the 0-30 did great for him. XD3 is CI-4/SL, it is for gassers.

I wish they sold the oil here. It sounds like a great oil.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
Wow, you really need to know when to use thick heavy oils like that.

20w50 in a 4 banger is pretty ridiculous.

Not really sweating that. Other than the oil usage issue, the car has been bullet proof. Just hate having to add a quart every 700-1000 miles. Wife drove the **** out of it in her home health job. Had a hard enough time keeping up with the oil changes. It average between 5K-7K on the total oil and filter change. Figured the law of diminishing returns with the makeup oil did not make it any worse going out farther on the oil change interval. Plus that is why I always stuck to the cheaper Supertech stuff. The car is now in semi-retirement not being driven much and the wife using another car for her desk job. Probably going to give it to my daughter who will more than likely trash it in a week.
pat.gif

Hootbro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back