Using Mobile 1 for 18 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2000 Dodge Ram Van (5.2) with 100,700 miles on it. It was parked a year ago with Mobile one 5w30 that had 500-600 miles on it. I put it back on the road yesterday and was planning to run it for the the next 5-6 months or until I hit 105,000 miles but am now having second thoughts.

Anyone out there have experience with pushing the "1 year rule"?

Last edited:
There wouldn't be that many contaminants in that short OCI period but peace of mind is worth more than a few bucks fo ran oil change. I'd drain it and put in a quality conventional given you aren't running the oil or the truck that much.

If you plan on running the truck often and using it, then go back to Mobil 1. $21 for peace of mind is a bargain.

Last edited:
That oil is perfectly fine for use,use it and sleep good at night, OR drain it and send it to me..

that 1 year stuff is [censored] !!!

Originally Posted By: koihito
Anyone out there have experience with pushing the "1 year rule"?

Yup. Been there, done that. No problem.

There was a UOA posted recently where the oil was in service for about 5 years if I'm not mistaken. It seemed fine.

Very cool! That was my gut reaction (that it would be O.K.) The van only has to last me another 5-6 months at which point it will be sold, given away, burned or what ever, but I won't need it again as we will be out of the country for 5 years :)

Thanks for the replies!

Hi,
koihito - You said this:
"Anyone out there have experience with pushing the "1 year rule"?"

Yes my vehicles are always run according to the OLM or distance on the lubricants I use. This sometimes goes out to two years. Mostly it is one to one and a half yesrs - distance usually wins first

You will be fine probably out to the second "birthday" or the distance nominated!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back