Using filter for second OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
When using the same filter for a second oci, do you guys take it off and drain the oil or keep it on and use half a quart less?

I'd recommend taking it off and draining.there's always a chance the gasket might leak after,but it's never happened to me.Just try it and turn it on after and watch for leaks.

I don't. I'm too worried about it leaking. My filter holds about a quart of oil, but I just factor it into the OCI, i.e. I don't push the oil as far as I would if I were changing the filter. Right now I'm doing 8K on the first run, 7K on the second run--shorter on the second run because of that old quart of oil in there.

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
When using the same filter for a second oci, do you guys take it off and drain the oil or keep it on and use half a quart less?

Most filters of average size only hold ~8 oz of oil. Remember, a lot of the volume inside the can is taken up by media and other parts.

When I used them for more than one OC, I always left them on.

But with longer OCIs I've gotten into the habit of changing them every oil change.

Last edited:
Leave it on IMO. No reason to chance a gasket issue, plus you'll totally eliminate any dry start wear. It doesn't account for all that much oil, your fresh oil will still look brand new after the change.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Why did you decide it was beneficial in the first place?

I'm guessing he's running a Fram Ultra - the GCOL (Gold Can Of Life)

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Why did you decide it was beneficial in the first place?

I'm guessing he's running a Fram Ultra - the GCOL (Gold Can Of Life)

lol!

If I run more than one oci on a filter I just leave it on. I do check to make sure it is tight. I had a filter that was lose once. It easily turned by hand, but was not leaking.

As I recall, prior to about the late 70's changing the filter at every other OC was the norm. I even recall commercials about leaving "a quart of dirty oil in your engine." This would have been back when oil filters were much larger, of course.

Seems kind of odd to hear about anyone in this forum using a filter for two OCI's given the fact that they get cut open, analyzed, and dissected just to determine if we think they're good enough for ONE OCI.

If your gonna through the trouble of removing it might as well put a new one on. It's like taking a shower and reusing your soiled underwear, just doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Seems kind of odd to hear about anyone in this forum using a filter for two OCI's given the fact that they get cut open, analyzed, and dissected just to determine if we think they're good enough for ONE OCI.

I dunno, I think all this obsession about oil filters shows me I can run longer than I had been. Before BITOG, I changed oil and filter at 2500 miles. Wouldn't dream of leaving a filter on for two OCIs. However, I've been cutting open filters on the different vehicles now, and if they look good, extending the OCI a little bit. Cutting open the filters gives me something to base the "can this car go longer on this filter?" decision on.

There are cars that I won't run a filter too long. If I cut it open and the media is warped like there was moisture, for instance. On the flip side, my 93 MX-6 is going 15k miles on a OCOD 5343 -- assuming my car makes it another 5k miles, that is (10k on it right now). Never seen a problem with these filters at 10k, and frankly the car needs to go, so why not do some tests!

Originally Posted By: stang5
If your gonna through the trouble of removing it might as well put a new one on. It's like taking a shower and reusing your soiled underwear, just doesn't make sense.

crackmeup2.gif
never understood this either, why not just run the oil 2OCI's and change the filter twice
43.gif

I guess I just thought the discussion was an anomaly here. I expected all the responses to be, "Change that filter. Don't ever use it for more than one OCI."

I have been using a 10,000 mile OCI for about twenty years, with synthetic oil. With the filters being as small as they are and as cheap as they are I just change them. I wonder if anyone has done any testing to determine differential pressure drop of new compared to various levels of used. I also wonder how long a filter can go before it's permanently in bypass mode.

I wonder if anyone has done any testing to determine differential pressure drop of new compared to various levels of used.

The manufacturer's do it all the time per ISO test standards. This is how they define the "holding capacity" (in grams) for the filter under test.

I also wonder how long a filter can go before it's permanently in bypass mode.

Lots of factors involved here, based on condition of the engine and driving cycle/use of the vehicle. Even air filter efficiency (ie, more crud the air filter lets in to the engine, the more the oil & oil filter gets contaminated) is a big factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back