Using Cascade to flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never come across this befor, but it has been mentioned on this site a few times recently.

I will be changing the timing chain on my 22R Toyota truck this summer. I have noticed come scale in the radiator that I thought I might try to clean out while I am at it.
I do not have cooling issues, just want to be pre-emptive.

I was considering using CLR as a flush when the rad is out, but might Cascade be safer? Would I run cascade for a while with the truck in use?

How best should I go about this?

for non oily contamination
I would prefer

prestone super flush its citric acid based.

and much more gentle than cascade.

Last edited:
Do not use CLR. It is not safe for aluminum components.

I shortened this but it's from the CLR website: CLR FAQ's

"What surfaces should I not use CLR on?
DO not use CLR on...aluminum. CLR is corrosive."

Just use some radiator flush, it's much safer.

"Some Scale" isn't bad.
It happens. Water evaporates and coolant left behind.

If it isn't broke don't "fix it".

I'd be gentle with it and either do a drain and fill, or use the Prestone branded flush.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Do not use CLR. It is not safe for aluminum components.

I shortened this but it's from the CLR website: CLR FAQ's

"What surfaces should I not use CLR on?
DO not use CLR on...aluminum. CLR is corrosive."

Just use some radiator flush, it's much safer.

I would have used the CLR when the Rad was removed from the truck.

I have not found Rad flushes like Prestone to be very effective>

Is yours is the 22RE with the plastic timing chain guides? The guide which goes bad is the long plastic guide on the driver's side. You can remove the valve cover, look down and see the condition of the guide.

If you have a 22R, they have solid metal guides with the rubber facing. The timing chain does stretch but if you don't rev the engine too high and keep your oil change interval reasonable, I've seen these engines go 300,000 plus miles on the original timing chain assembly.

Keep the cascade in the dishwasher guys. Why do some people make up these home concoctions when there are proven products on the auto parts store shelved designed to do the job of flushing a radiator and safely??

We have people running 2 cycle oil in their car gas tanks, had a whole thread on making your own freaking washer fluid and now cascade in their radiators...crazy I tell you!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kool1
Is yours is the 22RE with the plastic timing chain guides? The guide which goes bad is the long plastic guide on the driver's side. You can remove the valve cover, look down and see the condition of the guide.

If you have a 22R, they have solid metal guides with the rubber facing. The timing chain does stretch but if you don't rev the engine too high and keep your oil change interval reasonable, I've seen these engines go 300,000 plus miles on the original timing chain assembly.

It's an 85 Carbed 22R.
I think it was only the early (up to 83) that had a Duplex timing chain that was not problematic. All later ones, unless fitted with an aftermarket steel backed chain guide had plastic guides.

I don't have a real problem yet, but I do hear a bit of a chain rattle.
So I think I'll just do the job when the weather is a little warmer, and be done with it.

What's your tap water like? If it's lime-y an acid rinse will shake some scale loose.

I've run cascade to get oil out. I would not use it for scale.

You just want a solvent for your specific problem (that doesn't hurt the rest of the car). For example if you just have rust floating around a bunch of water will get that out.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I've run cascade to get oil out. I would not use it for scale.

+1

Saturn recommended Cascade as a flush on the SOHC setups that cracked heads and sent oil into the cooling systems. But that was for oil, not scale.

pretty much where I was going with my reply

Originally Posted By: Rand
for non oily contamination
I would prefer

prestone super flush its citric acid based.

and much more gentle than cascade.

I have been using Cascade powder for years. I dissolve it in hot water and use it in my flush. Works well for the dex-cool issues. Prestone's acid base works well but I prefer cascade. Diesel mechs have been using this for years...

I just bought some CLR. Was hoping it would flow through the heater core, which doesn't blow hot. Was not going to leave it in there for very long, just one hot/cold cycle. Take off the kid gloves, it seems.

I saw a citrus product at Autozone but I hear they take awhile to achieve results.

Plus, the alternator is getting changed and the upper rad hose has a leak anyway? What can an hour or half hour or so with CLR in there do, besides maybe dislodge some unholy crud from heater core, then i put straight water through the system?

I also debated a pinch of actual Clorox but I heard that that can eat things up. I debated a small amount. Decided to go with the CLR. I have 28 ounces of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back