Using an oil filter for 2 oci..question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Filter guy
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Also, someone mentioned dry starting the engine with a new filter. Takes less than a second for the oil to flow and lube the engine. That's what the by-pass valve is there for, to allow oil into the engine when there is no flow out of a new oil filter. As the filter fills with oil and allows oil downstream, then the by-pass valve will close. In lab testing this takes seconds on an automotive filter. As they do not prefil the filters for test purposes.

Normally, there isn't enough delta P across the media during a dry start to cause a filter's by-pass valve to open. The oil flow volume at start-up is pretty low, which will not allow much of a PSID across the media ... unless the oil is super thick as in a very cold start-up condition. PSID is a function of media resistance, oil volume and oil viscosity.

As you are aware, fluid takes the least resistance to flow. So with the filter being dry the by-pass will open and by-pass the dry element.

The media IS the least resistive path for the oil in a new filter. The bypass valve will only open after the level of PSID is equal to or greater than the bypass valve's crack open setting. In most Purolator oil filters for instance, that can be 14~16 PSID.

The only way the filters media could produce more PSID than the bypass valve's opening pressure is for the oil flow volume and/or oil viscosity combination to be huge. In a dry start situation, the flow volume is not very much, as the engine is barely above 1000 RPM ... and in that condition the PISD might be high enough (due mostly to high viscosity) to crack the bypass valve only if the oil was super viscous (ie, 0 deg F start-up with 20w-50 oil).

Typically you have about twice the GPM flow from the oil pump and regulating valve when you start the vehicle after changing oil. In the neighborhood of 80GPM instead of 40GPM for a car engine. So it doesn't take long for the by-pass to kick in.

Don't know what kind of engine you're referring to ... but for example, an LS6 high HP output V8 only puts out 10~12 GPM at redline. There is no way any normal public road car is putting out 80 or even 40 GPM at idle speeds, let alone 8000 RPM or higher.

Also, someone mentioned dry starting the engine with a new filter. Takes less than a second for the oil to flow and lube the engine. That's what the by-pass valve is there for, to allow oil into the engine when there is no flow out of a new oil filter. As the filter fills with oil and allows oil downstream, then the by-pass valve will close. In lab testing this takes seconds on an automotive filter. As they do not prefil the filters for test purposes.

Normally, there isn't enough delta P across the media during a dry start to cause a filter's by-pass valve to open. The oil flow volume at start-up is pretty low, which will not allow much of a PSID across the media ... unless the oil is super thick as in a very cold start-up condition. PSID is a function of media resistance, oil volume and oil viscosity.

As you are aware, fluid takes the least resistance to flow. So with the filter being dry the by-pass will open and by-pass the dry element.

The media IS the least resistive path for the oil in a new filter. The bypass valve will only open after the level of PSID is equal to or greater than the bypass valve's crack open setting. In most Purolator oil filters for instance, that can be 14~16 PSID.

The only way the filters media could produce more PSID than the bypass valve's opening pressure is for the oil flow volume and/or oil viscosity combination to be huge. In a dry start situation, the flow volume is not very much as, the engine is barely above 1000 RPM ... and in that condition the PISD might be high enough (due mostly to high viscosity) to crack the bypass valve only if the oil was super viscous (ie, 0 deg F start-up with 20w-50 oil).

Typically you have about twice the GPM flow from the oil pump and regulating valve when you start the vehicle after changing oil. In the neighborhood of 80GPM instead of 40GPM for a car engine. So it doesn't take long for the by-pass to kick in.

Don't know what kind of engine you're referring to ... but for example, an LS6 high HP output V8 only puts out 10~12 GPM at redline. There is no way any normal public road car is putting out 80 or even 40 GPM at idle speeds, let alone 8000 RPM or higher.

Well it's not that big a deal to me to debate if the by-pass opens almost instantaneously as I believe or it has to wait on flow through the element. Which still means seconds. The only way you might be satisfied is to tour a lab and see for yourself.

As for the GPM...can you tell me what the GPM output of the oil pump is during a start?

I think you might be confusing operating GPM which is regulated by the pressure regulating valve.

And true, those numbers didn't come from a Corvette. Every engine is different but the principle is the same. There is operation pressure and start up pressure. If the oil pump pressure was constant under all conditions, then there would be no need for a regulating valve. I don't own a Corvette so maybe it doesn't have a regulating valve. You can enlighten me.

As for the GPM...can you tell me what the GPM output of the oil pump is during a start?

The start-up oil flow volume is going to be way less than the max output of the oil pump can put out at redline. A positive displacement oil pump has a "displacement volume vs. RPM" curve that is near linear. So, if an oil pump puts out 12 GPM at 6000 RPM then it will only be putting out ~2 GPM at 1000 RPM.

I think you might be confusing operating GPM which is regulated by the pressure regulating valve.

The oil volume that gets to the filter IS the flow based on the regulated oil pressure. In other words, if an oil pump is putting out 12 GPM when it's in pressure relief mode, then there is 12 GPM going through the filter and through the engine. If the oil pump is capable of putting out 80 GPM, but only puts out 12 GPM to the filter/engine when in pressure relief, then 68 GPM is getting shunted back to the sump/pump inlet and 12 GPM is still getting to the filter/engine.

When a car is started at idle speed, the oil pump is not in pressure relief and the oil flow volume is small (1~2 GPM max), Therefore, there is not enough flow to make an oil filter go into bypass mode unless the oil is super thick/viscous.

There is operation pressure and start up pressure. If the oil pump pressure was constant under all conditions, then there would be no need for a regulating valve. I don't own a Corvette so maybe it doesn't have a regulating valve. You can enlighten me.

Start-up RPM is low, and as such the start-up pressure and start-up oil volume is also low. Only way this wouldn't hold true is if you started the engine with the gas pedal floored and the engine went to redline in a second or two or the oil was as thick as STP.

Pump output pressure builds with engine RPM and oil and/or increased viscosity. Every street car I know of has a pressure regulator on the oil pump. The oil pump will put out near linear displacement volume as a function of engine RPM - and oil pressure builds as the pump volume increases - until the pressure relief point is obtained. Once the oil pump is in pressure relief mode (ie, the highest pressure it will supply to the engine), then the output volume going to the filter/engine remains basically constant. Max pressure gives max volumetric flow for a specific engine design (ie, engine's total flow resistance). Any excess flow the oil pump is capable of putting out is shunted back to the sump or pump inlet, and does not go through the filter/engine.

You know what, my brain is asleep.

After rereading what I posted, the light bulb went on.

I didn't mean GPM...I meant PSI. Where's the slap head smilie..lol.

The by-pass setting is PSID not GPM.

I didn't mean GPM...I meant PSI. Where's the slap head smilie..lol.

grin.gif
... Here --->
33.gif

No biggie ... everyone gets off on the wrong tangent now and then on this stuff.
grin.gif

Any one using Asmoil filter for 2 oci? they claimed that it is good for 15k, so I am wondering if I can do 3 oci or 2 oci

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: momo
Any one using Asmoil filter for 2 oci? they claimed that it is good for 15k, so I am wondering if I can do 3 oci or 2 oci

I'm using the Amsoil filter for only one OCI, but my last OCI was 39,500 miles. I'm using a bypass filter as well, which is getting changed at the same time.

forgot about this thread. i started using my pureones for 2 oci now. the inside of a filter after 4k on my engine looks too clean to be dumped, so i re-use now.

Welcome to the dark side. I had been using same oil filter for two OCI's in my LS400 for more than 10 years. Actually, I reuse oil filter when I had dino oil with 6-7k/6mo OCI, when I used syn then OCI is 12-13k/12mo with 1 oil filter.

Would using an oil filter for 2 oil changes improve UOAs by getting more efficient as the filter loads up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back