US Gov't Fines Honda $70m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Honda is the greatest! They would never lie! GM is owned by the gubment and it's a conspiracy!

Absolutely. I believe!

Honda's diety-like status gets a change up. Couldn't happen to a more deserving group..

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Honda is the greatest! They would never lie! GM is owned by the gubment and it's a conspiracy!

Absolutely. I believe!

Honda's diety-like status gets a change up. Couldn't happen to a more deserving group..

Yep.

Sure feel the love for Honda here.

Rather like high school.

All car makers have and will be fined by various agencies for lying, under-reporting, hiding, and or any combination thereof.

That said...I'll take most Honda's over most GM, Ford, or any other make. They certainly aren't perfect cars, but in my personal experience they are of better quality in general. More reliable and last longer. They've made a few cars that weren't great...but in comparison to the others? No contest.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Rather like high school.

All car makers have and will be fined by various agencies for lying, under-reporting, hiding, and or any combination thereof.

That said...I'll take most Honda's over most GM, Ford, or any other make. They certainly aren't perfect cars, but in my personal experience they are of better quality in general. More reliable and last longer. They've made a few cars that weren't great...but in comparison to the others? No contest.

I've got ford work vans with 450k on the odo,cube vans with 400k,my last truck got totalled at 280k and was running perfectly I might add.
My z71 has 280k,my c3 has 220k,not a single vehicle mentioned has ever had a failure however the z71 did get a higher lift cam at 150k.

So do tell. How long should I expect my perfect running high mile domestics to carry me.
Are they suddenly going to dissolve. Disappear right out from under me.

Please. Rice fanboys are the worst.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Rather like high school.

I've got ford work vans with 450k on the odo,cube vans with 400k,my last truck got totalled at 280k and was running perfectly I might add.
My z71 has 280k,my c3 has 220k,not a single vehicle mentioned has ever had a failure however the z71 did get a higher lift cam at 150k.

So do tell. How long should I expect my perfect running high mile domestics to carry me.

+1. I have 2 Hondas sitting out in my driveway right now. While I would say that they are servicable vehicles and were the best value at the time I bought both of them new, I would say that there are manufacturers including American) that at least produce cars of similar quality.

I have had about 23 vehicles in my life and I would say the best car that I ever had was a Ford and the worst that I ever had was a Ford. The Honda's are somewhere in the middle.

Best to look at individual models and not paint with such a big brush and broad strokes.

Rather like high school.

By about 70K, my Honda was wheezing like a fat guy in a ten yard dash, and blowing blue smoke like a mosquito fogger, but, yeah, Honda's are the greatest.

edit: But, at least it didn't rust ..... oh, wait, on a still night you could practically hear it rusting ....

Last edited:
^^^I've seen more Hondas smoke than any other brand. It could be because the rice boys mod them and run them hard. It's an econobox. It's not designed to be run hard.

Rather like high school.

disclaimer: i have no idea how to include multiple quotes...
Andrewg - not directed at you
Win and Clevy: he just got rid of a multiple years problem ford focus. but that is still not the same class as the cars/work vehicles you talk about...
TDBO: i'm with you. there is not manufacturer loyalty today. ALL will have goods and bads.
you just hope you're never on the bad end of the stick :)

Rather like high school.

The biggest issue with the domestics is getting one on the first year or two that it was released, esp. with a new powertrain. For example, the 3.6 Pentastar from Chrysler had some issues with the head and power steering in 2011, but they corrected it by 2013. I got my 2010 used (w/6,000 miles and old design 3.5 engine) because I didn't want to take a chance with the new 3.6 engine. The dealer had a leftover 2011 I could have bought for 3K more than my used 2010. The 2010 has been flawless. No way Handa, GM, Toyo or any other make can be better than that.

Last edited:
Several news outlets have been getting this story wrong. They keep saying it's the biggest civil fine ever for the auto industry. In fact the EPA fines are much larger and are civil not criminal fines.

Rather like high school.

The biggest issue with the domestics is getting one on the first year or two that it was released, esp. with a new powertrain. For example, the 3.6 Pentastar from Chrysler had some issues with the head and power steering in 2011, but they corrected it by 2013. I got my 2010 used (w/6,000 miles and old design 3.5 engine) because I didn't want to take a chance with the new 3.6 engine. The dealer had a leftover 2011 I could have bought for 3K more than my used 2010. The 2010 has been flawless. No way Handa, GM, Toyo or any other make can be better than that.

+1. I think this is across the board. As R&D budgets decrease, the consumer gets to become the test "dummies". This is why I will never buy any make of vehicle in its first year and hurried up and bought a '12 Accord instead of a '13.

They've all made junk. And good stuff. Domestics made junk for years, then seemingly have pulled it together (supposedly). Time will tell if today's stuff is as good as it's said to be (300kmile+ vehicles).

IMO part of the reason why domestics get such a bum rap is because of how many were sold. Why fix your headgasket when for little more you could replace it with a running copy? Odds are a billion of your model was made per year. When vehicle values plummet so quickly it becomes tempting to replace than repair. Then the illogical thought-step becomes that, since it needed a repair that outweighed its value, that it must have been a lousy vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Rather like high school.

So....I am a "Rice fanboy" at my worst??

Nice guy. Remind me to cower in the corner of my home office anytime I decide to express an opinion on this message board.

For the record Mr. Insultive...I LIKE some Fords, Chevy's, and the like. The Crown Vic...and Chevy Suburban...as well as Corvette's and Mustangs...are some of the best examples of great cars.

I guess you didn't read the part where I said..."I'll take MOST Honda's"....and "they aren't perfect cars". I also stated that I was speaking from my own experience.

But that's ok .....after all...I'm, as you say...a "Rice Fanboy".

I didn't mean for it to get like this...Was waiting for the same folks from the GM ignition thread to show up who said other companies could be trusted and GM kills. Apparently I didn't do well enough to get them out of the woodwork.

Originally Posted By: whip
I fully expect Antigueshell to blame GM. being owned by the government, this will be some unfair way to hold back the other companies and help GM's sales.

Ah, nope, like another poster said. People at Honda and Takata lied and as a result people died.
I think the fine should have been much larger
The deaths are criminal felonies and those that lied and covered up need to get significant jail time.

I don't think being a judge and jury is really fair in this case....unless we all know the facts and what exactly transpired. I certainly don't trust the government 100% to protect me in all cases and/or render judgement against any entity. I've seen our government be very unjust (but I'm not suggesting that this is the case here). But saying that Honda committed a felony and lied with intent...well, I wasn't privy to all the facts presented nor Honda's explanation.....were you?

I'm guessing that Honda made some huge errors...and is paying for it. I find it hard to believe that they committed felonies.

But....just my opinion.

According to more than one article they did admit reporting less than what they knew in regards to defects and warranty claims.

The warranty claims thing seems odd. Who cares if you have warranty claims, people are still going to buy the car because they like it and it is a Honda. Warranties are there for when stuff breaks.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
35.gif

I just stopped by to see who is going to blame GM for this.

^^^
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back