US dealers to raise prices on Japanese cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well unlike oil you don't have to buy a Japanese car. Plenty of other brands that are as good or better at a better price.

I guess if there isn't quantity they need to make more per car... And some will blindly pay.

I wonder how it will effect the US made Japanese marked cars.

Good news for Ford and GM I guess.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Well unlike oil you don't have to buy a Japanese car. Plenty of other brands that are as good or better at a better price.

Yeah if you can't trust a good old american brand dealers, who can you trust? Unfortunately I am sure that GM and Ford dealers will claim parts shortages to increase prices, too - and to some extent they will be right. They will be selling fewer cars at higher margins. I hate when supply and demand works against me.

Selling cars is a lousy business.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I feel the same way. In fact they can keep them if they like. Sadly I think the American car dealers will get a little greedy themselves, and climb on board and hike prices.

just another lame excuse to raise prices on cars. when economy cars are 20k, something wrong here.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
just another lame excuse to raise prices on cars. when economy cars are 20k, something wrong here.

Greed. Plain and simple. Any wonder why so many people call dealerships STEALERSHIIPS?

Remeber that a seller's pricing power depends upon buyers' willingness to pay.
OTOH, a worldwide new car shortage would give all new car sellers enhanced pricing power, since the reduced supply would end up being sold to those who would be willing to pay more, while those not willing to do so will stay out of the market.
In the longer term, Japanese suppliers may find themselves replaced by suppliers based in other Asian locations, as well as Canada and Mexico.

Still cars available new for far less than20G .... if you want to drive them !

I'm glad to see high quality small cars available .

Housing prices are still going down...car prices can't go up for long. Many "japanese" cars are made here any way. I agree, cars in general are already too expensive. You can barely find a car for $20k new that will fit 4 people. The next bubble? JMO...

Just when the market was starting to get going again, they've decided to price themselves right back into a sales decline. While I feel sorry for what's happened to all of the auto workers, I don't feel one bit sorry for auto companies because they keep shooting themselves in the foot with high vehicle prices. YOU DON'T RAISE PRICES OF ANYTHING IN THIS ECONOMY. You bite the bullet and ride it out until the economy improves. I don't know why businesses can't understand this. You can't demand more from cunsumers when they're already completely tapped out themselves...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bruno
Still cars available new for far less than20G .... if you want to drive them !

I'm glad to see high quality small cars available .

That's a VERY short list, and very few of those are worth owning...

Originally Posted By: stodgey

Greed. Plain and simple. Any wonder why so many people call dealerships STEALERSHIIPS?

Is supply and demand that complicated? The "stealership" can't make you buy a car you don't want.

We test drove a 2010 FIT last Saturday and made an offer for it by email to the salesman and never heard back . When we 1st talked to him he mentioned that the FIT will be short of demand . Tells us they're going to sell it to someone else for more money . Yesterday we went to another HONDA dealer to look at the 3 FITS they have and all were sold . The saleswoman is supposed to call us back on Monday , doubt we'll here a peep . This is why we've nver had a HONDA . Never hear back and their offers are to high . Usually a poor trade in value and little to no discount on the new car of choice . It's the car that sells itself
mad.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back