Upgrading Curtis Air-Compressor Air Filtration??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 90's new to me Curtis industrial air compressor with the E-23 3 lung two stage pump. The air filtration seems pretty substandard, and all that remains is a couple crusty open cell foam filters in tiny little plastic housings.

Most modern high end compressors I see have real paper air filters in a circular metal or plastic housing, does anyone know of a good source to buy just these filters/housings? It looks like they attach to two of the cylinders by simple 3/4 pipe threads.

I wouldn't worry about this but this unit will live and work in a very dusty area so why not.

Thanks!

I would just use a 3/4 thread oil filter. Even a big one (quart size) is only a couple of bucks, and will be orders of magnitude better than what you have now.

Rod

Looks to me pumps could be easily retrofitted with paper filtration with foam prefilters.

I rigged up a Donaldson Air filter element on my Ingersol Rand 6'5 hp Home Depot model about 20 years ago and the oil stays much cleaner..

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
I would just use a 3/4 thread oil filter. Even a big one (quart size) is only a couple of bucks, and will be orders of magnitude better than what you have now.

Rod

I like this idea! maybe a 90 degree fitting and then a short threaded length to mount the oil filter on vertically so the "Intake" would be facing down? Would anti drain back valve hurt air flow?

Originally Posted By: CT8
I rigged up a Donaldson Air filter element on my Ingersol Rand 6'5 hp Home Depot model about 20 years ago and the oil stays much cleaner..

That was what I had in mind, just find a good filter housing with a common easy to find air filter from a different pump and mount it up. I have found a couple for sale now, but the website doesn't list thread size or anything so Im leery to drop 60 to 90 bucks to find out.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

Most modern high end compressors I see have real paper air filters in a circular metal or plastic housing, does anyone know of a good source to buy just these filters/housings? It looks like they attach to two of the cylinders by simple 3/4 pipe threads.
!

Solberg is made in USA and work well.

I use these:

https://www.solbergmfg.com/ViewSeriesDetail.aspx?SeriesId=1

They are available in some models from Amazon, lots more at Grainger. Just match up cfm and thread type.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: SOHCman

!

Solberg is made in USA and work well.

I use these:

https://www.solbergmfg.com/ViewSeriesDetail.aspx?SeriesId=1

They are available in some models from Amazon, lots more at Grainger. Just match up cfm and thread type.

Thank you, that looks like just the ticket. I don't mind it being made in the USA either! Have a great July 4th everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back