Updated Pennzoil Ultra Spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I recently started reading on BITOG and became confused about why Pennzoil Ultra did not meet the newest industry specs like Pennzoil Platinum. So I emailed Pennzoil technical support, and got a response the same day. I was impressed with the quick response alone.

I sent the email to [email protected]

I'll post my question and then Pennzoil's response below.

Question:

Quote:
To Whom It May Concern,

I have been using Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 in both of the family daily driven vehicles. On my last trip to purchase oil, I noticed that Pennzoil Platinum is API SN and ILSAC GF-5 rated and dexos 1 licensed. But Pennzoil Ultra is only API SM and ILSAC GF-4 rated and not dexos 1 licensed. I thought my walmart just had older bottles of the Pennzoil Ultra without the dexos label, so I looked online at the list of dexos licensed products and Ultra is not dexos licensed. I want to use the best oil possible for my vehicles, but I also want to use an oil that meets the latest industry standards. Pennzoil's marketing leads me to believe that Ultra is a better product than Platinum, but Ultra doesn't meet the latest industry standards. Are there plans to upgrade Ultra to API SN and ILSAC GF-5 ratings and to get it dexos 1 licensed, and if so what time frame are the customer's looking at before they see this product?

Answer:

Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry. Since our Pennzoil Ultra product is a
newer product, it takes a little more time to get the official
approvals for Dexos; we have received GF5 and SN approved for our
Ultra. We hope to hear from GM by next year on this. Currently,
our Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is Dexos approved. We recommend using
this until further notified by GM.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn

I just thought I would pass this along in case some were planning on stocking up.

Quote:
We hope to hear from GM by next year on this.

Takes that long?

Thank you for this. Very good to hear. I'm debating whether to put Ultra or M1 EP in my LS3 for my next OCI. Looks like I'll give Ultra a try.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Peted
Thank you for this. Very good to hear. I'm debating whether to put Ultra or M1 EP in my LS3 for my next OCI. Looks like I'll give Ultra a try.

Cant go wrong with either one! Both are exceptional oil.

i'll post my question and answer with pennzoil tech support too:
">Hello.
>
>I have two questions.
>
>1) Has Pennzoil Ultra been discontinued ? I cannot find it at any
stores here
>in Canada.
>
>2) Can 5W-20 P.U. withstand long oil change intervals the same way
that 5W-30
>can?
>
>Thanks."

"We still make Pennzoil Ultra Motor Oil.
Yes, Our 5W-20 oil can withstand long oil change intervals the same
way that 5W-30. "

Short and to the point i guess...

Originally Posted By: andrei3333
i'll post my question and answer with pennzoil tech support too:
">Hello.
>
>I have two questions.
>
>1) Has Pennzoil Ultra been discontinued ? I cannot find it at any
stores here
>in Canada.

"We still make Pennzoil Ultra Motor Oil.

I hate when they give short answers like that! Us Canadians know that the oil is still being made, but are wondering where the heck to get it now that Walmart doesn't carry it anymore! It was originally supposed to be sold in Canadian Tire too, and Pennzoil Canada's website even lists it there when you click on their locator feature, but it has never been spotted there.

I guess I have to rely on my friends travelling to the US to bring me back a few jugs of Ultra as I need it, just like I did at first before the oil arrived up here for it's very brief appearance. (they barely gave it a chance!)

Originally Posted By: Patman
I hate when they give short answers like that! Us Canadians know that the oil is still being made, but are wondering where the heck to get it now that Walmart doesn't carry it anymore! It was originally supposed to be sold in Canadian Tire too, and Pennzoil Canada's website even lists it there when you click on their locator feature, but it has never been spotted there.

Agreed. Not even one Canadian Tire here every carried it. The Walmarts did, albeit in small quantities. None of it is available anywhere now.

After grabbing the last two of four jugs of Ultra 5W-20 at the local wal-mart, i asked the manager whats up with the low stock level.

She wrote the sku down and went into her office, came back out 5 min later and said its discontinued for them. i asked why she said most likely there is a new planogram (store layout) coming for the auto section and that they are not restocking some products now.

I have never seen this oil anywhere in any store in canada except for walmart...
which is [censored] since all the other oils were there in abundance.

I guess there is a probem at pennzoil and thats why no one is carrying it now.....very interesting.. i would love an answer to that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back