Unified tow ratings system adopted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/02/1...intcmp=features

Its about time!
thumbsup2.gif

Well, let's just wait and hope... The Big 3 said they would, then stopped for some reason. I'm guessing now that they can have new models designed for the standard that they will comply and advertise compliant numbers; but like anything else, I'll believe it when I see it.

Edit: probably a bit too cynical in my post, but eh, I don't understand why they didn't list their compliant numbers when they said they would in the first go-around.

Last edited:
So you mean no more towing of 58000 lb trailers on 3/4 ton trucks?

No space shuttles?

Did you see Miller88's comments about towing in Canada?

You name it, it's probably been done. "Manufacturer wouldn't say it, if it didn't mean it!"

I'd be curious how older tow vehicles would do by those standards today. Times change, but I'd be curious just how much.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Unified ratings or not, who tows 10,000 to 12,000 lbs in a half ton?

We have customers that insist on it. They don't want to buy a F250 or F350 so they overload their F150 and complain when it breaks down.

Maybe that should be the next mod to that standard: what duty cycle for that kind of loading?

Seems like on this site the notion that an engine, if otherwise taken care of, will life a very long life at 75% loading. I wonder if this spec takes that into account? But where? 75% throttle on a hill climb at altitude, or 100% throttle at sea level?

My brother, for one. Tows a heavy RV from TX to FL about 2X a year.

Many others push their trucks up to (and occasionally above) the max.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So you mean no more towing of 58000 lb trailers on 3/4 ton trucks?

No space shuttles?

Reminds me of Dr. Dusty and his 60,000lb trailers
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

We have customers that insist on it. They don't want to buy a F250 or F350 so they overload their F150 and complain when it breaks down.

But that trailer weight will push you all over the place in a half ton.

Last edited:
I know many of the overloaded 1/2 tons are going over their GVWR or GRAWR before they go over the towing limit or GCWR. Motor Trend's truck of the year, the Ram 1500 diesel model and also their long term Ram 1500 with the Hemi both only have 8-900 lbs of payload. With a minimum recommended tongue weight of 10% (sometimes less on boats) how much can you really tow? Once I put all 500 lbs of my family in there (Myself, wife and 3 younger kids who run on the small side of average) I either can't tow much or can't tow anything if I want to load the bikes in the bed, with a cooler and anything else. Most people consider payload limits even less often than towing limits and fewer still will ever drive across a scale to see where they actually stand. Most underestimate the weight of their trailers as well as you only get unloaded weights from manufacturers and few people weight their trailers to see what they really weigh. GM and Ford trucks generally have higher payload but they still can easily be overloaded, the Ram is just a more extreme issue if fully optioned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I know many of the overloaded 1/2 tons are going over their GVWR or GRAWR before they go over the towing limit or GCWR. Motor Trend's truck of the year, the Ram 1500 diesel model and also their long term Ram 1500 with the Hemi both only have 8-900 lbs of payload. With a minimum recommended tongue weight of 10% (sometimes less on boats) how much can you really tow? Once I put all 500 lbs of my family in there (Myself, wife and 3 younger kids who run on the small side of average) I either can't tow much or can't tow anything if I want to load the bikes in the bed, with a cooler and anything else. Most people consider payload limits even less often than towing limits and fewer still will ever drive across a scale to see where they actually stand. Most underestimate the weight of their trailers as well as you only get unloaded weights from manufacturers and few people weight their trailers to see what they really weigh. GM and Ford trucks generally have higher payload but they still can easily be overloaded, the Ram is just a more extreme issue if fully optioned.

Thus why I have a 3/4 ton and then just do not worry about it.

The LAST thing you want to do is run a vehicle at or over it's rated capacities. Very risky, both mechanically and for liability.

The rig will likely be unsafe, there is a real danger of failure and/or premature wear on parts, and you are now a danger to others as well.

This is a huge problem in my field where overloaded operators are finding out in civil court that their liability may exceed their insurance coverage if there is an accident and someone gets hurt.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

But that trailer weight will push you all over the place in a half ton.

I have been in the middle of that discussion with a customer. He wanted it fixed under warranty when his trans was starting to overheat when he was towing a 9,000lb load on his trailer (not including trailer weight) with a 1000+lb iron pump in his bed with a full 200 gallon water tank. When we said he exceeded his weight he tried to say the ratings were for trailer load only and did not include the bed or the weight of the trailer. We were all just at a loss for words, the wall won that argument.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The LAST thing you want to do is run a vehicle at or over it's rated capacities. Very risky, both mechanically and for liability.

The rig will likely be unsafe, there is a real danger of failure and/or premature wear on parts, and you are now a danger to others as well.

This is a huge problem in my field where overloaded operators are finding out in civil court that their liability may exceed their insurance coverage if there is an accident and someone gets hurt.

I can only imagine being in a loaded Dodge like described above with a silly 900 rating and having it full of kids camping gear and towing a 25ft trailer. Get into an accident and if the other party has a sharp lawyer...even more so if you have your business name on the door...its going to cost.

If you have assets to lose pay attention to the GVWR.

Last edited:
I used to tow a 7,000 lb 24ft trailer everyday behind a 2003 Chevy 2500 HD. The truck was OK but not great at handling that load. I stay far away from any truck pulling a big trailer. You never know their experience level and with basically zero regulations in place a 16 year old who has ever driven anything bigger than a Yaris can legally pull a 30 ft enclosed trailer behind an f-150.

A lot of newer pickups seem to have pretty wimpy payload ratings. A friend of mine has a 2012 F-150 Ecoboost (huge cab, 5.5' bed) and it's only rated to just under 1500 lbs payload, IIRC (although the rating seems artificially low, as the truck wasn't sagging badly and drove fine when we used it to move some stuff around on dirt roads with about 2000 - 2200 lbs of stuff in the back and 4 people in the cab). Not terrible, but kinda wimpy considering his father's 03 Dakota reg cab short bed is rated to 1900 (and is a much smaller truck).

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
A lot of newer pickups seem to have pretty wimpy payload ratings. A friend of mine has a 2012 F-150 Ecoboost (huge cab, 5.5' bed) and it's only rated to just under 1500 lbs payload, IIRC (although the rating seems artificially low, as the truck wasn't sagging badly and drove fine when we used it to move some stuff around on dirt roads with about 2000 - 2200 lbs of stuff in the back and 4 people in the cab). Not terrible, but kinda wimpy considering his father's 03 Dakota reg cab short bed is rated to 1900 (and is a much smaller truck).

Sporting 10,000lbs.+ tow ratings, the seemingly paltry GVWR of new 1500's has been an issue for many people (that actually pay attention to those sort of things).

With that said, the 2014 F-150 with heavy-duty payload package has a 3,100lbs. max capacity.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

That makes sense. I see many F150's that sag heavily under load. Ford sacrifices payload capacity for ride comfort.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

With that said, the 2014 F-150 with heavy-duty payload package has a 3,100lbs. max capacity.

Exactly. You need either the HD package or aftermarket HD springs.

Last edited:
Since most people who buy a 1/2 ton aren't pushing them to the edge of their envelope, they never pay attention to the payload. Typically when you buy a crew cab, you sacrifice some of your payload. My buddy was surprised when on a fishing trip, I indicated we should take two vehicles. He couldn't get it through his head that between 4 200+lb guys, a 5000 lb boat and trailer combo, and all our camping and fishing gear, we were well over the payload rating of the Ram 1/2 ton pickup he wanted to take. (Payload was around 1200 lbs!) Granted it makes for an awesome ride when its not loaded, but way more people overload these trucks without realizing it...

All that being said, you typically can outfit your 1/2 ton to get a higher payload if you need it. All that being said, when its needed, I'd rather be behind the wheel of a 3/4 ton or higher...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back