U.O.A. 2008 YARIS sedan : PYB 5w-30 (SN/GF-5 ) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car had the head cylinder gasket replaced at 23,747 miles in the beginning of September , 2010 due to oil leak from #1 cylinder and no leak as of yet since the repair . Sent the sample to BLACKSTONE LABS on Monday the 9th and received the results today . Here is the report .

Make/Model:
TOYOTA Yaris 1.5L (1NZFE) 4cyl

Oil/Filter:
PENNZOIL Y.B. (conventional) 5w-30(SN/GF-5)
TOYOTA( Denso) 90915-YZZF2

Air Filter:
TOYOTA 17801-0T030 ( installed 9/18/2010 @ 24,359 mis )

Oil/Filter install / removal: 26,435 miles. > 30,945 mis. (11/21/10 > 5/9/11 )

Miles on oil: 4,510

Previous oil/filter : SHELL conventional 5w-30 ( SM/GF-4) , TOYO oil filter

COMMENTS: Thanks for the notes about the work that was done . It looks like all the problems are behind this engine now , at least based on this data . Potassium and sodium both were low here , so we don't think any coolant was getting into your oil . Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 6,100 miles on the oil . Iron was a little high in comparison , but certainly not in the problem range , and the TBN was strong at 2.7 , so lots of active additive was left . 1.0 is low . Nice report .

Code:

Aluminum: 4

Chromium: 0

Iron: 12

Copper: 1

Lead: 0

Tin: 0

Moly : 243

Nickel: 0

Manganese: 0

Silver: 0

Titanium: 0

Potassium: 0

Boron: 87

Silicon: 18

Calcium: 2236

Magnesium: 9

Phosphorus: 708

Zinc: 881

Barium: 1

Sodium : 4

SUS Visc @ 210F : 55

cSt Visc @ 100 C : 8.78

Flashpoint in F : 385

Fuel % :
Antifreeze % : 0.0

Water % : 0.0

Insolubles % : 0.2

TBN : 2.7

Drove the car 18 miles before the oil change to get a good sample . Replaced the PYB/Toyo oil filter with SHELL full synthetic 5w-30 (SN/GF-5)/TOYOTA oil filter and new TOYOTA air filter . Plan to do another U.O.A. of the SHELL synthetic in late October to early November for comparison to the PYB . Here's the UOA for the 2010 3 door YARIS we recently traded in for a HONDA Fit . http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2217800&page=1 .

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty good. Are you planning to extend the intervals a bit to 6k as per the ave?

This 1.5L engine wouldn't be that hard on the oil and should easily run the oil for much longer.

" Are you planning to extend the intervals a bit to 6k as per the ave? "

No , we were given the PLATINUM extended warranty of 7 yrs./120,000 mis. from TOYOTA , so need to change oil / filter every 5,000 mis. or 6 months . Otherwise , we would extend the O.C. intervals .

I'd also expect lower Iron for such OCI - maybe because of quite high Si for such a short OCI. Check air filter maybe..?

Silicon is likely from the TOYOTA silicone form in place gasket sealant from the head gasket replacement . The mechanic got carried away with it . There's black sealant all over the engine .

As for the iron , maybe starting synthetic at around 1,400 miles possibly slowed the wear . This also applies to the 2010 YARIS 3 door U.O.A. , which has little higher iron . The lower mileage of the 2010 could apply as well .

Originally Posted By: odie
Silicon is likely from the TOYOTA silicone form in place gasket sealant from the head gasket replacement . The mechanic got carried away with it . There's black sealant all over the engine .

So it was the valve cover gaskets on two new cars that were replaced, not the cylinder head gaskets? Sure it wasn't someone spilling a little oil now and then, and they did it just to appease the person? Sounds like one very annoyed mechanic to spread black rtv all over the engine.

The H.C.G. was replaced on this car . It no longer leaks oil . The 2010 has same leak . Checked the valve cover gaskets , dry as a bone . Do the O.C.s myself . Very careful not to spill a drop ( use a funnel ). Say what you will . Believe what you want .

Last edited:
Sorry, but it doesn't sound right, and maybe they smeared black rtv "all over the engine" just to show they did something. The reason I say what I say isn't personal, it is because there is no use of rtv on either the head gasket or valve cover gasket in this case afaik. Sometimes a dab in the corners of a valve cover gasket, but the last time I did it for my daughter's car, two weeks ago, a Toyota, it specifically said don't use anything on the gasket, not even in the corners, right in the instructions. Gasket was made in Japan. They are installed clean. They have used the same head gasket on the Prius and Echo, never read anyone having a head gasket failure on one brand new car, let alone two. The odds of that are off the chart.
It's all good though, no long form needed. What you say is accurate if you say so. It really is unusual beyond unusual though. I hope you see how unusual it sounds, if you had read it yourself from someone else.

The job was done . There's black F.I.P.G. used for the timing chain cover and areas of the valve cover . As for the head cylinder gasket issue , it is what it is . So , take it or leave it . I will no longer be responding to you . Go
Trolling.gif
elsewhere .
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Yes, "Hershey", Amigo, I took 5 mins to search for yaris hg probs, and there you were as "Hershey" posting dozens if not hundreds of posts about this on another site, Yarisworld, fighting tooth and nail with all kinds of people. You post over and over when no one is even posting back. All things I suggested they also suggested. I am glad I saw those, I was giving way too much credence to your claim than it deserved.

That trolling icon is stupid.

No, I don't believe a thing you say.

Yes, Amigo, please don't respond. Really, don't.

Well , sorry to respond . Yes , I'm a member of YARISWORLD and there are those here that are aware of it . I have no reason to lie about this issue with the YARIS . I've posted the worksheet from the TOYOTA service center , notified TOYOTA of this matter , posted a picture of the PLATINUM extended warranty given by TOYOTA for free , and posted many pictures of the oil leak from our cars and a friends 2010 YARIS with the same oil leak from the #1 cylinder of the H.C.G.. Not much more proof I can present . I've taken a lot of heat about this at YARISWORLD and here as well . Not backing down .

" we were given the PLATINUM extended warranty of 7 yrs./120,000 mis. from TOYOTA "

Oops , should be 8 year / 125,000 mile warranty .

The previous fill of SHELL conventional 5w-30 (SM/GF-4) apparently has 226 . Go here for test results for major oil brands , http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html and click on the SHELL , PENNZOIL oil bottles , or other oils for better look . Must be the P.Y.B. SN/GF-5 used for this fill now has same or higher amount of moly as the SHELL .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back