Typical after 2200 miles with Gastrol GTX 5W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This afternoon I looked at the dip stick of my wife's car (Ford Escape V6 '03 with 83k, PureOne filter) and the Castrol GTX 5W20 I just put in 2 months ago was already turning dark after 2200 miles.
Is this typical for this oil in this engine?

its 3 years old, fairly high mileage.. and its a v6
in this case its probly only dark because its cleaning up your engine considering its only been in 2200 miles

do you have anything like Marvel Mystery Oil/Fram oil stabilizer or any other oil additive in there
btw, its most likely a good thing if its cleaning your engine.

DINO
canada.gif

Quote:

This afternoon I looked at the dip stick of my wife's car (Ford Escape V6 '03 with 83k, PureOne filter) and the Castrol GTX 5W20 I just put in 2 months ago was already turning dark after 2200 miles.
Is this typical for this oil in this engine?

Color of oil is not a measurement of oil life. In alot of well kept engines, it is a measurement of how clean your engine is. If your dino oil color is only amber after 2.2K, you are doing fine maintaining your engine.

Just curious! What dino oil that you used prior - remained clearer at 2.2K?

Quote:

Just curious! What dino oil that you used prior - remained clearer at 2.2K?

We just got the car last August and this was the first oil change I did on this car.
Is Castrol GTX known for it's cleaning capacity?

Seems like the oil is doing its job. My oil (GTX 5w30) is at about 2500 and is just turning black. So asap I'll be either buying a case or the gallon jug.
confused.gif

When you stop to think about it an oil that is doing its job and removing contaminates from an engine is going to turn dark. Now if oil turns dark very quickly that might be an indication of a worn engine (unless you have a diesel). But motor oil will turn dark and certainly it will probably be fairly dark after 2200 miles.

Quote:

When you stop to think about it an oil that is doing its job and removing contaminates from an engine is going to turn dark. Now if oil turns dark very quickly that might be an indication of a worn engine (unless you have a diesel). But motor oil will turn dark and certainly it will probably be fairly dark after 2200 miles.

Reminds me of a Honda forum I once stumbled across. They thought Royal Purple was a terrible oil because it drained out black instead of purple
laugh.gif
crackmeup.gif
chairs.gif

Hmmmm! My old car with a varnished up engine turns a fresh oc into black water after about 1200 miles. My new cars oil with 4000 miles on it is still translucent brown amber(I actually wiped some sludge off a cam bearing cap.)
confused.gif

Your wifes Escape sounds normal but if you're uncomfortable with the dark color you can do some short oc intervals for a year.

GTX formula can be high in detergents, depending on the batch.

Quote:

We just got the car last August and this was the first oil change I did on this car.

Used vehicle? Maybe the previous owner wasn’t that judicious in their oil changes and this change is doing a little cleaning. Perhaps make this oil-change-interval a little shorter than normal.

I would not worry about it. I am running maxlife dino because of wal-mart clearance but I have used castrol gtx almost exclusively in my old truck that I had for 15 years I have had many people criticize my choice of oil because they said "it turns too dark quickly". My father-in-law has the truck now with over 200,000 miles and it runs great. Wish I had it back.

Thanks all. I looked through the filler cap and the inside looks clean, no sludge at all.
I think I maybe do another dino OCI with GTX for 3k before I put in PP I have.

Quote:

Gtx is a farily dark oil, and 2200 miles is alot of miles

Actually GTX 5w20 is a very light colored oil. That's the first thing I noticed when I poured it into my wife's engine a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back