type/source of food grade gear oil for hobart m800 80 quart (giant) floor standing dough mixer?

I have a large hobart m800 80 quart floor standing food mixer. This is a big machine with clutch and 4 speed transmission, bevel gears and a planetary final drive. Its very old and the manual I was able to find does not specify a type or viscosity of oil, I just know it should be food safe. What should I use? Looking for a generic inexpensive oil, the stuff I was able to see from hobart costs a fortune. Here is a link to a photo:

I found this manual, but it does not say what type of oil to use:
https://www.bakedeco.com/images/manuals/Hobart M80 manual.pdf

How about using Hobart food safe gear oil?

Ah yes, the price. Maybe ask an aftermarket distributor maker of food grade lubricant like Granger or Anderol.

This is a big machine with clutch and 4 speed transmission, bevel gears and a planetary final drive. Its very old and the manual I was able to find does not specify a type or viscosity of oil, I just know it should be food safe.
Why? Does the dough travel through the transmission?

Why? Does the dough travel through the transmission?
Maybe some oil can seep out of the mixer shaft seal and make its way into the dough. Makes you wonder how many large mixers out there are running engine oil some baker thought would work fine in the transmission.

Maybe some oil can seep out of the mixer shaft seal and make its way into the dough. Makes you wonder how many large mixers out there are running engine oil some baker thought would work fine in the transmission.
Trying to imagine how that would be possible. Don't the attachments connect to the drive assembly? Even so, wouldn't it be obvious.

Anywhere a shaft protrudes from the gear case, there has to be a seal. In a mixer, the beater/paddle is driven by a vertical shaft that goes through a seal located directly above the food bowl.

I agree though that the risk is going to be tiny. If ingesting tiny amounts of petroleum products posed a large health risk, we'd all be sick. We drive on roads covered with the stuff all the time so we ingest/breath traces of the stuff constantly.

It actually has two seals that operate over the bowl, it is designed with an annular gutter around the upper one that would catch any drip, and a small housing with a drain plug that would catch anything from the other. Regular lube would probably be fine but if there is not a huge cost difference may as well use stuff good for incidental food contact as specified by hobart, but not their high dollar repackaging of what is undoubtedly something generic. I would like to change the lube twice as I drained it today and there was a bit of water in there, maybe from washdown? who knows... So if not food safe, what should I use for the flush oil (Just any gear oil I have laying around? I have a bunch, or is is OK to run a few quarts of motor oil thru?) and then what for the food safe stuff? What weight?

So if not food safe, what should I use for the flush oil (Just any gear oil I have laying around? I have a bunch, or is is OK to run a few quarts of motor oil thru?) and then what for the food safe stuff? What weight?
I would use something food safe.

yes, but what to choose from the gear oils here:

Last edited:
That's some very heavy weight oil; what info are you using to recommend that viscosity?

That's some very heavy weight oil; what info are you using to recommend that viscosity?

Parts manual from the HL600 and HL800 that I found online. Those machines replaced the M series machines in 2002. As well, Hobart’s oil is a 460. Hobart 00-102973-00071 Oil (Gallon) (128oz).

Makes sense to me, judging by the gear box. Slow speed, higher pressure.

HPL might also have small quantity full synthetic EP 460 food grade gear oils.

FYI the best deal I could find for that so far is from mcmaster carr; still looking though

Back