Type of ATF to help worn CD4E...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part two for my ATF drain/fill questions...CD4E behind Duratec 3.0 with 150k miles. This will be very long, but please bear with me!

I bought unit with 106k miles, and a check of the fluids at purchase revealed bright red, new fluid. Tranny worked well...not perfectly, but pretty good. I have no idea what was used, but tranny calls for Mercon, not Mercon V.

After about a year and 25k-ish miles, had a partial drain and fill done by my CT garage b/c I couldn't get the tranny drain plug loose. According to the invoice, they used a generic multi-vehicle ATF, one that is good for both Mercon and Mercon-V applications.

After the change, the tranny didn't seem to work a lot better, a bit but not a lot. After another 6 months and maybe 10k, I did a drain and fill, and used ST Dex. III/Mercon fluid, and a bit of stop leak.

After THAT change, the tranny seemed to perk up and work a lot better. Just felt crisper and less 'sloppy'. From my research, it seems that Mercon V fluids are much thinner than DexIII/Mercon, and I've read many times that older CD4E's just work better on Mercon, even though they are spec'd for Mercon V.

So I'm fine with using older-spec Mercon, but I'd like the better cold flow and heat resistance of a synthetic without 'messing up' the tranny from a super-slick fluid. I just noticed Amsoil has put out an OE Dex/Mercon tranny fluid. It's 7.5cst, as opposed to the 5.8 cst for the Dex-VI/Mercon-V OE fluid. So it should not cause problems from thinness.

What do you think? Should I just stick to 'basic' cheap Dex/Mercon fluid in the unit that seems to work, or use the Amsoil syn fluid, that should be the same thickness as a mineral fluid, and may provide better protection? I wasn't consider a syn fluid, as most are multi-spec fluids, but this Amsoil OE stuff is strictly old Dex-III/Mercon spec'd stuff....

Sorry to ramble....love to hear thoughts now that this new Amsoil stuff is out....

Last edited:
I thought Ford says to use Mercon V in this transaxle. ?? It is at a minimum semi-synthetic.
Try it. Available at Walmart.

When you did the D&F, you got roughly half the fluid out....since it perked up on the regular MERCON spec fluid, I would just another 2 x D&F, getting you to a higher percentage of new fluid than the 50% from your 1st D&F. No need to spend extra $$$ on better fluid, spend it on multiple D&F for a higher percentage of new...better, do a cooler line flush...

Last edited:
While mine doesn't have the mileage of yours, it works great with Motorcraft Mercon V, which now covers Mercon applications. Based on comments here I also use LubeGard Red (1 oz/ATF quart), which also seems to make it a bit smoother.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
+ 1 on the Lubegard Red. I've got that in my '93 Taurus and my '95 Oldsmobile and both are running strong.

Use top of the line ATFs like Redline and Amsoil and you will not need any additives.

Originally Posted By: Danh
While mine doesn't have the mileage of yours, it works great with Motorcraft Mercon V, which now covers Mercon applications. Based on comments here I also use LubeGard Red (1 oz/ATF quart), which also seems to make it a bit smoother.

That's what I did for ours. Pulled many a trailer and other abuses. Shifts at 131k better that at 32k.

Ford's statement on using MerconV to replace Mercon:
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000564317.cfm?x=b79gdNq,b2W5q9fm,w
"Ved, based at Ford’s Automatic Transmission New Product Center in Livonia, Mich., is the company’s lead development engineer for ATF. He noted that although his company has recommended Mercon V for all vehicles for the past seven or eight years, most Ford models on the road continue to be serviced by Mercon. Mercon V, however, is a far better product that more closely resembles the factory-fill ATF which Ford has used for over eight years. It requires the use of a more shear-stable viscosity index improver, and Group II or Group II-plus base oil to meet its viscosity and oxidation targets.

“All transmissions recommending Mercon ATF can now be serviced with Mercon V,” Ved later told Lube Report. “Mercon V is a tighter specification, requiring better anti-oxidation, antiwear and anti-shudder properties from service-fill ATFs. We are doing this because we want to ensure our customers get the better fluid."

Isn't Mercon SP the lower viscosity product, not MerconV?

so it is safe to use full synthetic fluids like mobil 1 atf, amsoil, and redline in older ford escapes with cd4e transmissions?

Quote:
After the change, the tranny didn't seem to work a lot better, a bit but not a lot. After another 6 months and maybe 10k, I did a drain and fill, and used ST Dex. III/Mercon fluid, and a bit of stop leak.

After THAT change, the tranny seemed to perk up and work a lot better. Just felt crisper and less 'sloppy'. From my research, it seems that Mercon V fluids are much thinner than DexIII/Mercon, and I've read many times that older CD4E's just work better on Mercon, even though they are spec'd for Mercon V.

Questions:

1. I don't understand your first sentence.

2. Why did you use StopLeak?

Dexron II/III, Mercon, and MerconV are all 7.5 cSt fluids so they are all the same thickness@100C.

Run of the mill Mercon and MerconV fluids today are GroupII plus GroupIII fluids.

You can either continue with the SuuperTech or run something like the Valvoline MerconV

Valvoline MerconV

If you are concerend about cold weather shiftability, go with Redline:

Redline D4

Last edited:
How about Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ... per the PDF on the Valvoline site, it is compatible:

Suitable for use in:
Ford MERCONÆ, MERCONÆV, MERCONÆSP and MERCONÆLV applications
GM DEXRONÆ-II, DEXRONÆ-III and DEXRONÆ-VI applications
Nissan/Infiniti Matic D, Matic J, Matic K, and Matic S applications
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III applications
Hyundai/ KIA SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV and SPH-IV applications
Subaru ATF and ATF-HP applications
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS (except hybrids) applications
Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs) applications
Allison C4 and TES-389 applications
Mercedes Benz NAG1 applications
Volvo passenger car applications and STD 1273.41
Volkswagen TL52162
Voith H55.6335.33(G607) and H55.6335.33(G1363) applications

The weird characters are TM's I think. The text was cut-scraped from the PDF. About $17/gallon at WallyWorld
tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back