TV Adapter for Wireless Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of TV adapter for wireless display. I have a Toshiba Qosmio X770-BT5G24 laptop with Intel i7 & is Intel Wireless Ready. One use will be to play Blu-ray movies. Of course, there are several options.

The Netgear Push2TV adapter was the first one that I found. Their PTV1000 (720p) has ~ 1/2s lag time. Their newer PTV2000 is 1080p but doesn't say anything about 5.1 sound. It's supposedly about half the lag time of the PTV1000 so 1/4s. It's $95 from Amazon. I don't know if I can continue to use the laptop while playing a movie on the TV though.

D-link has one as well - MainStage which is 1080p & 5.1 sound. Model DHD-131 is $92 from Amazon. This one says it handles the TV as an extended screen so that I can continue to work on the laptop while movie, etc. is playing on the TV.

Belkin has one as well - ScreenCast which is 1080p & 5.1 sound as well. Model F7D4501 is $99 from Amazon. I don't know if I can continue to use the laptop while playing a movie on the TV though.

There are other technologies out there such as WHDI but it seems to be having a hard time getting off the ground. Cnet did an article on it back in 2010-Oct. They were supposed to be available early 2011, but still aren't readily available. 2011-Aug review from the Morton Report. They seem to offer a good advantage of virtually lag-free (< 1ms).

What would you recommend? Is there some other technology that I should be looking at or should I just go with the D-link, Belkin, or Netgear?

Thanks.

I would be interested to know about this, too. While I use HDMI, wireless would be much better.

My laptop has Intel i7 2670QM processor. Per this Intel page, this 2nd gen Intel i7 processor doesn't support wireless display even though the datasheet for the laptop says Intel Wireless Display ready. What gives? Did Intel leave a processor off the list? What is special about the 2670QM?

Toshiba said that the D-link would work but wouldn't comment on Netgear or Belkin. Hmm.

D-link MainStage has a 1/2s delay per mfg.

All of them (except PTV1000) will allow you to work on something different on the laptop while streaming to the TV.

It looks like I may be stuck with ~ 20' HDMI cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back