"Turkey Baster" Fluid Changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used turkey basters to renew the fluid in power steering systems. You have to do it a few times to get most of it. The method is ineffective for brakes, the new fluid won't make it much past the master cylinder. You need to bleed the brakes to do this right.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I have used turkey basters to renew the fluid in power steering systems. You have to do it a few times to get most of it. The method is ineffective for brakes, the new fluid won't make it much past the master cylinder. You need to bleed the brakes to do this right.

+1

Brake system is a closed system - new fluid will not go anywhere until the old is removed at another point so the new can take its place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: engineer20
i see. i guess ps is ok but not so much for the brake fluid
is bleeding difficult/takes lots of work or no?

It depends on your situation. You can buy a check valve that goes on brake bleeder screws to do this job alone, or you can get a friend to push the brake pedal for you.

You say you live in Michigan, there is a huge risk you face. Sometimes brake bleeder screws get rusted shut, and you are stuck installing replacement calipers. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you. This usually doesn't happen if you live where there is no road salt.

Since Aisin made your transmission, that Aisin WS fluid should be good for it. I'm guessing it is probably foreign (non-North American) market packaging.
Originally Posted By: engineer20
i see. i guess ps is ok but not so much for the brake fluid
is bleeding difficult/takes lots of work or no?

I use the turkey baster for brake fluid to get the flush started. No point in flushing all that old fluid through the lines, waiting for it to get clear, when I can finish the job faster by starting with a reservoir full of clean fluid.

Be careful with brake fluid, it makes a GREAT paint remover.

There are plenty of good Youtubes and HowTo's on brake bleeding. The primary caution is not to suck air back into the lines. On some vehicles, pushing the brake pedal to the floor can damage the master cylinder. In this case, a short piece of 2x4 underneath can limit the travel and still provide enough throw to accomplish the bleed. Or, use the vacuum method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back