tune 2 cycle engine for each tank of gas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems that with every tank of gas i fill in my 2 cycle engines, the carb needs an adjustment to run right.

So is this pretty normal to do so?

It's probably weather conditions/air pressure that affects how it runs on various days. There's no need to tune it everytime you use it; just get it to where it runs good on the slightly richer side of perfect running and it should be safe.

If you adjust the carb on a day that has very high pressure and it's colder out, it's gonna run richer/boggier under opposite weather conditions. I can kind of tell on my old Homelite weedeater, especially in spring when the weather airmasses change dramatically from week to week.

Last edited:
Are there springs on the adjustment screws? Maybe they are moving as you run the motor? Or maybe your exhaust is close to plugged with carbon?
I can run my saws from -10F to maybe 50F and have them run pretty well, a bit rich in the warmer weather of course but OK. Never noticed them running differently with different gas.

If you are using the same gas you mixed up for your two strokes for 6 months then they are going to run different from when the gas was fresh.

I have a chain saw that doesn't run as well on gas that is a month old versus fresh.

I'd strongly recommend you to do a controlled experiment by switching over to using trufuel and try the same kind of gas over the course of, say 5 usage (5 events) and see if that would cause your 2T engine settings to drift.

Post back when you have this experimentation complete to discuss.

Q.

Also when you say needs tuned to run right what are you talking about? Do you mean they don't idle right or won't run wide open right or the won't go from idle to wide open right? What two stroke equipment are we talking about? How long are the sitting between uses? How old is the gas?

Last edited:
If you are using pump gas, it's very likely that you will notice differences between batches of gas.

Ethanol content alone can vary your air/fuel mixture considerably. Couple that with other seasonal fuel changes, and you might notice significant differences. I've stopped using pump fuel in my OPE. I now use 100LL Avgas in some applications and 90 octane recreational fuel in everything else.

Also, I use VP C9 storage fuel in my fire pump. As it does not see regular use and C9 never goes bad. C9 is 96 octane unleaded race gas and storage fuel. It's awesome stuff.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
If you are using pump gas, it's very likely that you will notice differences between batches of gas.

Ethanol content alone can vary your air/fuel mixture considerably. Couple that with other seasonal fuel changes, and you might notice significant differences. I've stopped using pump fuel in my OPE. I now use 100LL Avgas in some applications and 90 octane recreational fuel in everything else.

Also, I use VP C9 storage fuel in my fire pump. As it does not see regular use and C9 never goes bad. C9 is 96 octane unleaded race gas and storage fuel. It's awesome stuff.

VP fuels are the best and I do run it in all my small OPE VP SEF is made for air cooled OPE and has long term shelf life and is best to buy it in 5 gallon pails to save money.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Where you get that at ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back