trying to choose an oil V8 Ford 351 Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: CrAlt
Originally Posted By: ValkyrieIS21
I just asked my brother last week this question as I purchased my dads 81 ford pickup when he passed which I believe has a rebuilt 351 in it. I thought my dad used a straight 30 weight oil in it. So I should be able to use these suggested above? I am also from MI and only drive in summer.

USA 1981 351 is going to be a 351M or 351W. Different from the 351C. Also Michigan is a very different climate then that of Australia. I would go with one of the above mentioned 10w30s.
smile.gif

Oz had 351W in the early '70s, and Ms somewhere in the middle.

Clevelands were 1971?
and went through to 1982
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/for...-ss-group-three

My history teacher in Year 10 had a yellow Falcon Station Wagon ESP with the 302C, 4 speed, and 4 wheel disks...

The last of the Oz Clevos went to DeTomaso...and then off to the world.

Ya C's didn't run long here. 1969 to 1974. I dont even think USA had the 302C. I am not a ford guy at all so I could be off on that.
laugh.gif

Ya C's didn't run long here. 1969 to 1974. I dont even think USA had the 302C. I am not a ford guy at all so I could be off on that.
laugh.gif

the 302 Cleveland ends up sort-of 302 Boss in port and head arrangement, while obviously not bottom end.

Not a ford guy either, but Clevelands sound pretty OK.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: ValkyrieIS21
I just asked my brother last week this question as I purchased my dads 81 ford pickup when he passed which I believe has a rebuilt 351 in it. I thought my dad used a straight 30 weight oil in it. So I should be able to use these suggested above? I am also from MI and only drive in summer.

USA 1981 351 is going to be a 351M or 351W. Different from the 351C. Also Michigan is a very different climate then that of Australia. I would go with one of the above mentioned 10w30s.
smile.gif

Oz had 351W in the early '70s, and Ms somewhere in the middle.

Clevelands were 1971?
and went through to 1982
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/for...-ss-group-three

My history teacher in Year 10 had a yellow Falcon Station Wagon ESP with the 302C, 4 speed, and 4 wheel disks...

The last of the Oz Clevos went to DeTomaso...and then off to the world.

laugh.gif

The C basically became the M when the smogger stuff happened.

While there was never a 302C in the North American market, we had the BOSS 302, which was a Cleveland-headed Windsor, and had a reputation for being a pretty high-winding mill that could create a ton of power.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I had a look for the vantage 15w40 at the local supercheap auto but didnt see it, once i get hold of some I'll give it a go.
Thanks everyone,

Originally Posted By: drew2
Hi all,
The aussie lube guides for my 351 Cleveland engine are confusing me a bit. Just looked on Penrite lube checker and they're recommending 20W-60 and even 25W-70 for this engine! I know that high zinc oils are recommended for these old tappet motors, but gee this heavy weight has me a little concerned, especially when the US sites seem to recommend 10w-30 and 15w-40. From looking on the BITOG forum, I can't see anyone running anything like this Penrite HPR30 20w-60 in their cleveland V8.
Can anyone give me some pointers about oil choice please?
regards,
Andrew

10/40 was the mfg "Ford" recommendation back in the seventies.

Wow, a Clevo in a Cruiser.
Most conversions were a Chev 350 SB.

Anyway we typically run the Castrol 25w-60 in any Clevo with rather serious performance upgrades.
Alternately any good 20w-50 will suffice for some extra protection in a stocker.
Or for a standard option it would be a 10w-40. There will be plenty to choose from in the Penrite range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back