Trouble with peanuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I'm back to some level of routine-ness - I can focus on improving my chi again and eating the "right" foods for my body

Through vigorous controlled trial and error, when I eat peanuts - my body has issues.

I don't have a hard ground nut allergy with peanuts (i.e. I don't get hives, bumps or inability to breath), they don't give me bowel issues or anything that would make mori giggle. It's just I feel like crap 3 to 6 hours after eating peanuts. Some aches and pains and some general malaise, with paranoia above my normal level. It took me some time to discover this as you might imagine - and confirming it meant eating nothing but foods that I know don't mess with me (green tea, white rice, greens, sprouted grain bread, lamb, fish) then eating some increasing quantity of peanuts (in various forms).

I've been peanut free for 3+ days now and feel pretty good. I may re-confirm soon - but now it's almost psychological - I know how crappy I'll feel when I get the nuts in the gut - so either I'm afraid or it's all in the brain…..kind of hard to do a double blind test (fake nuts?) - but I guess my wife could sneak some decent quantity into some chow without my knowledge!

salted? Often salt build up casues these problems.

but unsalted peanuts in the "why bother" vein....

I'm not a big fan of peanuts. Usually, I eat a variety of mixed nuts. Brazil nuts, cashews, hazel, etc., but it does bother me later. Maybe it's just a nut thing and not peanut specific??

Test Brazil nuts or cashews if you like them and you may find the same thing or worse.

Listen to what your body is telling you. This instinctive feeling means you should stay away from peanuts. For me, it's apples - I get nauseated from them.

I was having some pretty bad allergies a couple years ago and one of the things I had done was a test on my blood. I found that I, too, had an allergic reaction to peanuts. I don't swell up like Martin Short in "Pure Luck" after a bee sting, I just don't feel "right". I can't have too much dairy and melons make my mouth itch.

I'd suggest anyone who has problems with foods to get the blood test done as it will weed out the items you should not eat.

FWIW, Peanuts are not actually nuts, they're legumes. That's why so many people can't eat peanuts, but other nuts are fine.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
FWIW, Peanuts are not actually nuts, they're legumes. That's why so many people can't eat peanuts, but other nuts are fine.

Cashews aren't tecnically nuts either.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:

Legumes?? Pablo, I guess that means no more beans for you.

Beans usually don't cause aches and pains. Just copious quantities of malodorous methane mixtures.

Yeah I know peanuts aren't nuts.

I don't have problems with tree nuts. Pecans are like superfood for me.

Cashews are like flower parts or something. I had cashew juice for breakfast in Brazil. Orange and sorta fruity. Not good, though.

You won't necessarily get hives and swelling from a food allergy. Imagine if you were allergic to goldenrod pollen, and someone baked you some cookies enriched with pollen that was collected by honeybees during goldenrod season. Your guts would probably be irritated in the same way as your eyes, from the pollen.

Check into an omega-6 oil reduced diet.

I don't think it's a salt issue - happens with all forms of peanuts. But you are correct - saltless peanuts are kind of pointless. I actually like the spicy devils and also the Chinese boiled kind. But alas, no more.

For the record, I like pea-nots.
tongue.gif

quote:

You won't necessarily get hives and swelling from a food allergy. Imagine if you were allergic to goldenrod pollen, and someone baked you some cookies enriched with pollen that was collected by honeybees during goldenrod season. Your guts would probably be irritated in the same way as your eyes, from the pollen.

What people often don't consider is that the stomach and intestinal tract linings constitute de facto "external skin" surfaces, because these linings get in direct contact with food that comes from the "outside."

I get one of those 2 lb salted peanuts every week at Wal*Mart. I'm diabetic so I need carb-free snacks. No complaints.

I don't have problems with most foods, but after eating an apple or some grapes, I feel like I might vomit. I never do though.
I can eat corn and feel fine, but if I eat corn chips, I feel dizzy and generally want to die.
Now this sounds like poo-poo to me, but many peoale believe in a book that claims you should eat or avoid certain foods based on your blood type. I read the book, but I don't think the proof is there, aside from anecdotes. The actual testing done seemed somehow ... not excellent?

Peanuts can be deadly!!

The death of a boy from an allergic reaction to peanut butter while on a school camp has prompted a coroner to call for every child to be screened for allergies.

Deputy NSW Coroner Jacqueline Milledge also put the State Government on notice to ensure every teacher is trained to deal with allergic reactions.

She issued a raft of tough recommendations yesterday as she released findings into the death of 13-year-old Hamidur Rahman from Hinchinbrook in Sydney's southwest.

A severe allergy sufferer, Hamidur died of anaphylactic shock in March 2002 after eating a fork laden with peanut butter while on a school camp in Leeton with Hurlstone Agricultural High School.

Despite his mother having told his teachers that he could not eat peanuts, Hamidur ate the spread as part of a game with other students out of peer pressure, Ms Milledge said.

Mr and Mrs Rahman are now pursuing legal action against the Department of Education.

In a 17-point list of recommendations, Ms Milledge also said all staff at NSW schools, preschools and childcare centres should receive allergy awareness training as a priority.

Ms Milledge said no one - not Hamidur, his parents or any of his teachers - knew allergic reactions could be fatal.

"It is hard to believe that in 2002 educators could be ignorant of the extent of the problems with allergies, but each and every witness stated they were not aware," she said.

"Hamidur dreamed of achieving good things in life. He wasn't healthy, but he had a remarkable spirit that allowed him to enjoy life and all that it had to offer. The best we can do for Hamidur is to ensure that this does not ever happen again."

Hamidur's parents Siddiqur and Rokeya wept as Ms Milledge handed down her findings at Glebe Coroner's Court.

Education Minister Carmel Tebbutt yesterday apologised to the Rahman family and said schools were now doing everything they could to prevent further deaths.

Ms Milledge said there was "no doubt the response by the Department of Education and Training to Hamidur's death had been slow to ignite", but said she was hopeful that would change.

She commended teachers for their desperate attempts to "help Hamidur cling to life".

Dr Robert Loblay, head of Royal Prince Alfred Hospital's allergy unit at said it was up to the State Government to take up the coroner's recommendations.

"The coroner has put the Education Department and the Health Department on notice that things have to move forward much more effectively if we are going to prevent another tragic death," Dr Loblay said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back