Transmission Problem - Jag XK8 (ZF 5HP24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GF stopped at a light last night, and when it turned green and she tried to accelerate, nothing. Then it revved up and “caught”... She smelled a burning smell and was able to limp it into a parking lot, where she called and had it towed.

She said it had been acting funny earlier that day as she merged onto a highway.

1998 Jaguar XK8, approx. 100,000 Miles. She’s owned it for about a year and a half, and has done at least a drain and fill.

From a little research, these 5-speed ZF 5HP24 units are also in several other mostly if not all Euro RWD cars and SUVs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_5HP_transmission

Just wanted to start a thread to get some ideas to try to help if I can. Unfortunately she lives about 7 hrs awa from me, so I can’t look at it right now.

Anybody dealt with these transmissions?

Indy transmission shop and have a large pile of cash.

Jags are known to be fun sporty cars to drive. Not reliable or cheap to repair. Maybe she should have a Camry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Maybe she should have a Camry.

Maybe you shouldn’t reply to a thread if you have zero knowledge on the topic at hand, and nothing to contribute besides snark and bashing a particular make of car.

As stated, this is a transmission problem with this ZF 5H24 unit, which is also installed as original equipment in MANY other vehicles, so it has nothing to do with the car itself, which has been quite reliable for her so far.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Maybe you shouldn’t reply to a thread if you have zero knowledge on the topic at hand, and nothing to contribute besides snark and bashing a particular make of car.

As stated, this is a transmission problem with this ZF 5H24 unit, which is also installed as original equipment in MANY other vehicles, so it has nothing to do with the car itself, which has been quite reliable for her so far.

The issue is the vehicle is 20 yr old. You are many hours away. Its a Jag. I have found through wife and daughters, that car repair shops take advantage of women. Others might conclude if you drive a Jag, you can afford a huge repair bill.

Last edited:
First thing is to check the fluid level then go to a shop for a diagnosis.

Send a pm to one of the transmission experts on here, "clinebarger". Be careful with trans shops as most will say time to replace. Even if the trans fluid level is the culprit.

..... Its a Jag. .... Others might conclude if you drive a Jag, you can afford a huge repair bill.

OP, asking for information, on a forum full of low rent penalty box drivers, about a Jaguar, or any medium cost European car for that matter, will be less useful than slamming your hand in a car door.

Try Jag Lovers or one of the other specific marque forums.

Regardless of what Wikipedia says, I would be suspect about the '98 XK8 having a ZF, if nothing else, just from the fact that it failed.

All of my Jags have had ZF's, except my Xj12 which has a 4L80E, but many from that era in the late 1990's had Ford five speed transmissions, and, as best I recall, that included the sister XJ8 model. I have not had an XK8, or any Jag built between 1994 and 2004, so can't comment specifically on that particular model.

It could also be an ancillary - British cars have lousy rubber parts - I popped a line going to the 4L80E in my Xj12 bouncing off the speed limiter one night, which of course seemed like a transmission failure, but was really just a big mess and knuckle buster to repair.

Good luck to your GF - I've always liked the XK8. If I could find a nice coupe that had never been worked on by a moron that ignorantly thinks they know something about Jags, I would probably get one. Those cars are rare though. It's best just to bite the bullet and buy a new one so you can be sure of what hasn't been done to one. Not a fan of the 4.0, though. Hope she has upgraded the timing chain tensioners. They're a time bomb if she has not.

The 5hp24 has SEVERAL design flaws that we're fixed over the years. The OP is right, this trans was in VAG cars, Jags, BMW's, and Land Rovers. They're essentially all the same, minus some case differences and programming.

Google "5hp24 issues" and read on.

I had a very similar trans in my 1997 M3. The procedure for checking the fluid level is somewhat involved which means it doesn't happen often. The "catching" is a classic low fluid level symptom. The burning smell is hopefully just a minor, easily rectified, leak which caused the low fluid level. Have the GF get a rental and then shop around for a good independent European repair shop. If you rush this it will likely cost a lot of money.

I won't say anything about having a girlfriend who lives 7 hours away other than I prefer a closer relationship.
smile.gif

Keep us posted on what happens with the car.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Based on the burning smell, could it simply be leaking and the fluid level is too low?

That occurred to me as well...

PM’d Clinebarger.

Hopefully he’ll weigh in on this.

Meantime I’ll see if she and her dad can do a fluid level check if they haven’t already had it taken to a shop.

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions, guys.

A lot of those ZF units get neglected - the Euro obsession with "sealed for life" is [censored] but also the cars that those ZF 5HP/6HPs got used in were also for the most part leased as well and the lessee could have cared less about service except for the absolute minimum.

If it was me, fresh fluid and filter with an OEM filter and either MaxLife or ZF Lifeguard-5(LT71141)/Pentosin ATF-1 and check for leaks, replace any easily replaceable seals like the mechatronic sleeve. Start here and work up, wouldn't hurt to pull for codes.

PM’d Clinebarger.

Hopefully he’ll weigh in on this.

Meantime I’ll see if she and her dad can do a fluid level check if they haven’t already had it taken to a shop.

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions, guys.

*Retrieve trouble codes from the TCM & ECM.
*Check for fluid leaks. The cooler lines like to leak where the rubber hoses are crimped to the hard lines.
*Check fluid level.

I know I'm reiterating on what was already posted, But checking the basics is very important!

With that being said......The ZF 5HP-24 is NOTORIOUS for Clutch Drum A (Forward/input) to crack right where the backing plate snap-ring rides, When it cracks the end of the drum & the snap ring will blow out causing it to slip in forward gears.

This is usually caused by a stuck/sticky pressure regulator valve as a result of the bore that it rides in is worn. I use Sonnax part# 139740-01K to correct this. Not a drop-in replacement....Requires tooling to ream the bore to bigger size!

A textbook example of the BITOG "No fun cars for you!" philosophy. We should all have to drive anodyne appliances.

Originally Posted By: Win
OP, asking for information, on a forum full of low rent penalty box drivers, about a Jaguar, or any medium cost European car for that matter, will be less useful than slamming your hand in a car door.

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact
A textbook example of the BITOG "No fun cars for you!" philosophy. We should all have to drive anodyne appliances.

Aaargh. So predictable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back