transfering images from camera to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Canon digital camera and am having problems with the card. Sometimes after I take a picture and take the card out of the camera and install it in the front of the computer a screen will pop up allowing me to put the pics on the harddrive. But sometimes this screen doesnt pop up and I have found no way to get the pictures onto the computer.

I was thinking a USB to camera cable would be better, but it wasnt included and neither was the software disc that the manual says is required.

Its gotta be simpler than this.

Go to http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/page.action and put the camera model into the search box. One of the things the tell you is what should be included in the box of a new camera. If the camera was represented as new, take it back. I tried entering A1200 into the search box. That
camera is one of their cheaper models. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_a1200#BoxContent says it has disk and USB cable both.

I presume that the camera least made in the last 5 years. I am surprised you did not get a cable or disk from the camera, but maybe the seller lost them.

You could get a cheap USB cable. It's probably a mini-USB for the camera, unless they have switched to micro-USB as they have on newer cellphones. Windows will see the camera as a drive, or you can use the Canon software. Put usb mini cable into an Ebay search.

Last edited:
When you put the card in the computer's reader it show up as a removable drive under MY COMPUTER. If it does not, pop it out and back in. It may take 10 or 20 seconds to show up.

I use Windows Live Photo Gallery and use the IMPORT option. It only imports new pictures. There are a lot of software products to organize (and a lot more) your photos.

If you do not see the card in MY COMPUTER, then no software can access the photos.

Most cables to connect your camera as a USB are a USB mini B. There are a couple of different mini connectors, but B seems to be the most common. You should not need any software that is camera specific to upload from the camera over a USB cable. Again the camera will show up under MY COMPUTER as a removable drive.

Use the cable - much easier. Saves wear and tear on your removable card. Also, if you do a lot of uploads, get a power supply for your camera - it will save your battery. Uploads take lots of power.

Last edited:
How do you get the computer to read the card right now? Do you pull it out and put it into a card reader or a slot on your computer? or do you connect the camera to your computer?

Either way they should function identically. One thing about using USB to connect to your camera is that you may have to install drivers, but most card readers do not need to install a driver.

It may be your card reader going bad. Have you tried and see if your card read fine in another computer?

For me, it's MUCH easier transferring pictures from the card or using a cable. and you shouldn't need special software to do either.

also, couldn't help but notice "Intrepid" in your sig. what engine?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I just got a Canon digital camera and am having problems with the card. Sometimes after I take a picture and take the card out of the camera and install it in the front of the computer a screen will pop up allowing me to put the pics on the harddrive. But sometimes this screen doesnt pop up and I have found no way to get the pictures onto the computer.

I have had the same issues. Occasionally the computer won't see the card and thus there is no pop-up window to begin the download. Its not a camera issue; I have two DSLRs and a P&S and when the computer decides it doesn't want to see the card, it won't see the card from any of them. I wind up using the cable, which always works, and then the next time I try using the card it usually tends to work. Could it be that dust gets into the card slot?

Originally Posted By: css9450
Could it be that dust gets into the card slot?

From what I understand you need A LOT of dust for that to happen. More than likely either a weakened spring on the contacts, bad power source (circuit that provide a lower voltage for the card), or the card electronics (bad solder joints).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back