Tranny Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a Toyota V8 hooked up to a 5-speed tranny driving a ball mill. This setup gets whipped like no truck ever does with long runs with constant load changes. We had trouble with some shiny flakes in the tranny fluid. The Magnefine people gave me 2 filters to try out and after 6 months and 2 filters the visible flakes are all gone. The 1st filter was changed after 500 hours and the second was changed at a bit less than 900 hours. There was enough stuff in the first run that the filter got plugged up but the bypass valve worked as advertised and there was no restriction in flow. This is severe service of the worst kind and there is no moving air over the tranny just a big extra cooler. The Magnefine filter did a very good job and it's going on anything I own that need this kind of filtration. So, Magnefine thank you for the filters, it worked well.

Good to know, but why don't you guys hook up a much larger (and possibly finer) spin on hydraulic filter to the rig? Filter will last much longer and would be easier to change.

We are using these because they work. And if they get plugged up they have a bypass valve inside and it also works. The filter gets many particles in the 5-15 micron range which thouse spin on filters won't touch. We have tried a lot of different tranny filters and the only ones that work better are the toilet paper filters. With many vehicles it's just easier to install a Magnefine.

Makes me feel better about installing one on my TL. The first one I installed had nothing visible on the magnet or filter at 10K miles. Taking the second out to 30K which is coming up. Not bad for $20 and 5 minutes to install.

To install a Magnefine you first identify the transmission cooler return line from the radiator, they are usually 3/8 size. Cut and install a Magnefine filter with a hose clamp on each side. The hard part is determining which line to use. If the manual does not tell you, you may have to pull one, insert a length of clear tubing and have someone turn it on while you watch to find out which way the fluid flows. I have them on all 3 of our vehicles and also on the power steering line of my 95 Explorer.

It will be cooler while driving or fan blowing on the radiator.
Be very careful while touching these lines when driving at 60mph or fan blades spinning at 5000 RPM :)

Quote:
The filter gets many particles in the 5-15 micron range which thouse spin on filters won't touch.

Out of curiosity, has that been verified with a particle count? Or is it based on spec's?

Does anyone have single or multipass spec's for a Magnefine?

Not berating Magnefine here, just trying to get some data.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
The filter gets many particles in the 5-15 micron range which thouse spin on filters won't touch.

Out of curiosity, has that been verified with a particle count? Or is it based on spec's?

Does anyone have single or multipass spec's for a Magnefine?

Not berating Magnefine here, just trying to get some data.

When I read that I assumed he was partially talking about the magnet.

Quote:
When I read that I assumed he was partially talking about the magnet.

Sure, but it's effectiveness should have a showing in standardized tests.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Good to know, but why don't you guys hook up a much larger (and possibly finer) spin on hydraulic filter to the rig? Filter will last much longer and would be easier to change.

I added a permacool filter kit to my Taco. It mounted under the battery, between the stock cooler and TRD cooler. I also added a filter magnet.

If you are going to install a Magnefine on a NEW vehicle (less than 2500mi), install the filter on the cooler inlet. The oil cooler(s) will stay clean.

The reason to install the filter on the cooler return on a older vehicle esp. one with a replaced tranny due to failure is to prevent debris that worked it's way into the cooler from getting into the replacement transmission and causing another failure

Dre.

Any PH8a sized filter has a built in bypass. Plus, there are various sized 3/4" threaded filters that can be used to fit tighter engine compartments.
Any filter magnets added to the PH8a-sized filter will allow it to catch all those 'micron' magnetic particles.

Magnefine is a waste of money if it is clogging up quickly enough. In this industrial application, a BM/permacool/northernhydraulics/..... spin on filter kit would be a better choice.

Filtermags are reasuable indefinitely. PH8a-sized filters cost between $3-$10.

BTW, I always recommend additional ATF filtration. I have nothing against the magnefine. They should easily last 30k+ miles in almost any daily driver non-worked vehicle, are easy to install, and can be added to the power steering........
I just don't see it as cost effective.

Any transmission that is clogging magnefines will not have a long life.

We did particle tests on the Magnefine that had a Ford part number on it. After talking with the Magnefine people I'm told it's exactly the same filter. A Ford rep told me they did a lot of testing before adding this filter to their parts inventory and giving it a Ford part number. We use this filter on a auto trans used for dome dyno tests. The trans is a GM 700 R4 (hope I have the model number correct). This filter has worked well in every application I've put it to.

Quote:
I just don't see it as cost effective.

Well, they aren't if viewed from a replacement standpoint in costs. What you've got to figure is that many aren't factoring the $50 of other parts you need to make a spin-on filter a practical realty (for most - it would be more if they use some service provider). You go permacool, you're choked into Jeg's or Summit or JCW's cost structure ..but can use cheap filters. You go Northerntool, you're getting a cheaper head ..but will probably pay more for hydraulic filters in terms of outright price due to limited distribution. If a Magnefine lasts 30k ..then you're looking at nearly 100k before you break even.

The main feature of the Magnefine, for me, is the fact that anyone can add auxiliary filtration due to its compact size and relative ease of installation. You've got to pay for that somehow.

They're really a feature packed filter based on the one I cut open. I wish I had taken images.

And to add to Gary's statements these filters really work and if they plug up they have a bypass inside. As Gary sez the fact that you can slip one of these filters just about anywhere is an added bonus.

Great pictures. Last summer someone in the shop put a Magnefine after a spin on tranny filter and it still picked up a lot of stuff especially on the magnets. For me I think they are worth the price.

The auto transmission repairer I spoke to only uses the inline filters if it the transmission has been reconditioned. Requirement for warranty purposes.

I had 2 magnefine inline filters and after about 9 months they leaked at the connections on both the power steering and transmission lines. The magnefine plastic inlets slightly deformed and if you over tightened these they can split the plastic.

The Holden Dealer also told me they we fitting the magnefine’s when they first cames out in 1994 over here, but they stopped the practice as owners often neglected to change them, and often experienced leakge at the clamps. I did a UOA on the transmission fkuid whilst I had magnegine filter and wear was low.

Solution, I removed both of the magnefines AND I increased the size of the transmission pan CAPACITY BY A LITRE, installed an OEM transmission cooler and put an extra OEM magnet in the pan.

I installed an inline filter on the power steering, the filter casing is made of metal(and also an OEM power steering cooler which are basically 2 long metal tubes. What I have noticed is the inline metal filter acts as a cooler for the fluid as well as it is able to conduct heat similiar to the OEM power steering metal tubes cooler.

Good idea if you service them when its due, I am not sure if the plastic casing is a good idea, my auto trans expert uses Raybestos Inline Filters these are made with a metal casing, but these do not have a magnet on the inside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back