Toyota Sienna V-6 4,634 miles FF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought van new in June of 2012. Changed oil on June 3, 2013.

Van used daily for kids back and forth to school. 1.5 to 2 mile trips. Occasionally 20 to 30 mile trip thrown in there.

Changed out factory fill with Amsoil Signature 0W-20 ASM.

I know factory fill has higher wear metal numbers, but is it typical to see copper so high?

thanks

Code:

Vehicle Toyota Sienna 2012 3.5L V-6 (2GR-FE)

Oil Amsoil 0W-20 ASM

Miles on Oil: 4,634

Oil Used: 4,634

Oil changed 6/03/13

Aluminum 6

Chromium 1

Iron 32

Copper 314

Lead 6

Tin 0

Molybdenum 145

Nickel 1

Manganese 6

Silver 0

Titanium 49

Potassium 12

Boron 6

Silicon 379

Sodium 391

Calcium 1540

Magnesium 13

Phosphorus 717

Zinc 834

Barium 17

Properties

SUS viscosity 50.5

cST Viscosity 7.42

Flashpoint 400

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % .4

TBN 2.3

Curious what the OM says regarding oil change intervals; is one year allowed? Also is this the FF or the ASM you changed it to?

Last edited:
Curious what the OM says regarding oil change intervals[/quotes]

I'm sure its not a year; I just kept pushing it back.

The analysis reflects the FF with 4634 miles.
The oil I put in is the ASM.

Originally Posted By: lutherbelle
The analysis reflects the FF with 4634 miles. The oil I put in is the ASM.

The oil analysis lists "Amsoil 0W-20 ASM" as the oil used for "4,634 miles". The factory fill should be listed in the report instead of the replacement fluid.

Does Toyota not have a 2 year maintenance included with their cars/vans? Why did you not take it to them at 6 months?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Originally Posted By: lutherbelle
The analysis reflects the FF with 4634 miles. The oil I put in is the ASM.

The oil analysis lists "Amsoil 0W-20 ASM" as the oil used for "4,634 miles". The factory fill should be listed in the report instead of the replacement fluid.

Sorry bout the confusion. It should have stated FF.

I didn't go back to dealer for oil change mainly because i don't trust dealers or free programs. Behind close doors i can't guarantee that a dealer was going to use the more expensive toyota 0w-20 instead of Valvoline. This dealer advertised very heavily that they use Valvoline.

In hind sight i realize it would have probably been better to take the free oil change instead of wait 12 months.
smirk.gif

lutherbelle,

Thanks for the UOA. My wife and I also have a 2012 Sienna XLE. We have just over 20,000 miles on ours. I've been following a modified version of the ToyotaCare maintenance schedule. ToyotaCare pays for oil changes every 10,000 miles, while I've been paying the dealer for Toyota 0W-20 oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals. (Our Sienna is used primarily for 4 mile trips to school and such, and I wasn't quite confident with the 10,000 mile oil change intervals.)

Enjoy your van! We just put 700 miles on it this past week for the family vacation. Averaged 25 MPG on 95% highway driving.

Seems like a good case for dumping the FF earlier than later I'd say. With copper that high I'd resample after this oci to make sure it goes down.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Seems like a good case for dumping the FF earlier than later I'd say. With copper that high I'd resample after this oci to make sure it goes down.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Nah. The only way is down with such a high number, but you are just about guaranteed another high reading, so OP gets to wring his hands about it for another 5K. Test the change after this, or better yet two changes down the road.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Folks, copper is normal in Toyota's FF! Used in assembly lubes last time I checked.

Where did you verify this?

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Folks, copper is normal in Toyota's FF! Used in assembly lubes last time I checked.

"Copper always shows up in Toyota engines undergoing breakin. I got similar readings in mine, 2GR-FE, in second OCI.

I personally believe copper is coming from assembly lube. At least it goes away quickly after several OCI, just like silicon.

BTW, These engines are wearing little. You are wasting money on UOA."

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2899355&page=all

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I'm a little relieved about the copper; I'll hoping to see if the next couple uoa do bring copper down.

eugenem:

I do love this van; we been using a TSX for the last 8 years for long family trips. 25hrs non stop to Miami was no fun.

Unfortunately the school is only a half mile away and there is a lot idling.

We do have two vacations coming up the summer and fall. So hopefully the next OCI wont be as long (duration).

thanks

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC

I did see it specified in some UOA interpretation guide. I found it by googling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back