toyota matrix oil burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks I just bought a 2009 toyota matrix 2.4 5 speed with 120,000 miles. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 high mileage 5w20 the day after I bought it. I plan to run m1hm 5w30 but I thought I would use the 20 for a few months while its cold. Normally I would like to drive the new purchase locally to get used to its quirks but I unexpectedly had to travel 550 miles to kingsport tn for work yesterday. The car ran great but after letting it sit overnight I checked the oil and it seems to have burned about a quarter quart. When I changed the oil and filled with 4.5 quarts it put the level about a quarter inch above the full mark. After a 550 mile trip it's sitting at the full mark. If I'm not mistaken that's burning about a quart every 2000 miles making me weary of the condition of the engine. Would the m1 5w30 slow this consumption?

I've been monitoring the tail pipe assuming everything I've seen is condensation in the recent cold Temps but now I'm second guessing. The clear smoke doesn't seem to go away even once I'm at normal operating temp. Granted these are only 5 mile runs watched today to and from work. Anything to worry about? My buddy has a camry with the same engine as me, 2azfe, and it seems to be blowing just as much smoke/vapor out of the exhuast. It does seem more excessive than the other makes/models on the road. Is it just the way the 2azfe behaves?

Thanks in advance for info on my consumption issue or general info on the behavior of the 2azfe engine. I'm ocd about the condition of my vehicles especially so with a new to me car. Thanks again.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's probably it's first taste of synthetic. Pound some miles on it and worry about it later, it could just be a fluke.

I would run 5w30 year round. There is not real COLD weather in FL. I have a co-worker in FL and she thinks 30 is cold.
smile.gif

How many miles do you plan to go between oil changes? If its less than 6k I would run Valvoline maxlife or castrols high mileage oil. Both are a semi-syn and I have good success with both of them and oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
I would run 5w30 year round. There is not real COLD weather in FL. I have a co-worker in FL and she thinks 30 is cold.
smile.gif

How many miles do you plan to go between oil changes? If its less than 6k I would run Valvoline maxlife or castrols high mileage oil. Both are a semi-syn and I have good success with both of them and oil consumption.

Yes I'm with you on 5w30 being great for Florida but I travel. It's probably below 30 right now in kingsport. Still think I should run the 30w? Can 30 instead of 20 likely slow consumption?

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
smile.gif

Yes I'm with you on 5w30 being great for Florida but I travel. It's probably below 30 right now in kingsport. Still think I should run the 30w? Can 30 instead of 20 likely slow consumption?

It might help, depends where the oil is going.

I run 5w40 I my truck and am in much colder state than you. My old Chevy gets 15e40 and my baby hauler car gets 5w30 year round as well. Was in the single digits the other day and fired the truck up and went along fine.

So 5w30 is plenty fine esp with that many miles, a little usage, and in FL.

2000mi/qt is fine for any engine with 120k on it. It's within specs on new engines!

Last edited:
I'd say..change the PCV. I know mine is not same engine but it started to drink some, i changed the 10$ PCV and consumption is not gone but alot less. I now use about 1/2 quart per OCI of 5k miles. I personally would of went with plain syn..either 0w20 or 0w30 and watch to see consumption for 2 OCI's. See how much consumption during 2nd OCI and go from there..ie new pcv and see if it improves or not. Being in FL, you can use a 5w30 without issue, so you can also go to a 5w30 and see how it goes. Just keep an eye on it.

Is Mobil one high mileage the best oil for a 100k 2azfe? I'm running Valvoline synpower in my hyundaI veloster since the low Noack oil is supposed to be good for the gdi. They have a 300k guarantee on the internals if you register your vehicle by 125k and do 4k intervals. How would synpower 5w30 fare in the 2azfe?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I'd say..change the PCV. I know mine is not same engine but it started to drink some, i changed the 10$ PCV and consumption is not gone but alot less. I now use about 1/2 quart per OCI of 5k miles. I personally would of went with plain syn..either 0w20 or 0w30 and watch to see consumption for 2 OCI's. See how much consumption during 2nd OCI and go from there..ie new pcv and see if it improves or not. Being in FL, you can use a 5w30 without issue, so you can also go to a 5w30 and see how it goes. Just keep an eye on it.

I'll definitely change the pcv. Inexpensive and generally a easy changeout.thanks

my vote is always repair the mechanical issue other than trying to mask it with oil. You have to narrow it down. pcv, stuck or broken rings. even searching the Toyota forum to see if it's a common fix. Your consumption is actually not bad either. Some manufactures won't do anything even around 1 quart per 1000 miles.

Run 5w30 next time. 1 quart per 2000 miles is not bad for that year toyota. I seem to remember something about toyotas of that vintage having improper oil rings and having excessive consumption.

You've taken a 550 mile trip and an eyeball guess at the dipstick and extrapolated that to a quart every 2000 miles. I don't scrutinize my dipstick that closely and there are many factors that could cause that slight variation in oil level.

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Hey folks I just bought a 2009 toyota matrix 2.4 5 speed with 120,000 miles. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 high mileage 5w20 the day after I bought it. I plan to run m1hm 5w30 but I thought I would use the 20 for a few months while its cold. Normally I would like to drive the new purchase locally to get used to its quirks but I unexpectedly had to travel 550 miles to kingsport tn for work yesterday. The car ran great but after letting it sit overnight I checked the oil and it seems to have burned about a quarter quart. When I changed the oil and filled with 4.5 quarts it put the level about a quarter inch above the full mark. After a 550 mile trip it's sitting at the full mark. If I'm not mistaken that's burning about a quart every 2000 miles making me weary of the condition of the engine. Would the m1 5w30 slow this consumption?

I've been monitoring the tail pipe assuming everything I've seen is condensation in the recent cold Temps but now I'm second guessing. The clear smoke doesn't seem to go away even once I'm at normal operating temp. Granted these are only 5 mile runs watched today to and from work. Anything to worry about? My buddy has a camry with the same engine as me, 2azfe, and it seems to be blowing just as much smoke/vapor out of the exhuast. It does seem more excessive than the other makes/models on the road. Is it just the way the 2azfe behaves?

Thanks in advance for info on my consumption issue or general info on the behavior of the 2azfe engine. I'm ocd about the condition of my vehicles especially so with a new to me car. Thanks again.

If you check the oil level right after you change it the level may not be accurate, because the oil filter is empty.

As of now the oil level is at full mark so it is good, check the oil level the same way(early morning after overnight parking) every week for the next few weeks/months, top off with the same M1 HM 5W20 when level went down to middle of add and full marks.

Originally Posted By: abycat
my vote is always repair the mechanical issue other than trying to mask it with oil. You have to narrow it down. pcv, stuck or broken rings. even searching the Toyota forum to see if it's a common fix. Your consumption is actually not bad either. Some manufactures won't do anything even around 1 quart per 1000 miles.

This!!

Oil consumption is a mechanical problem. The rate of consumption may be manageable, but there is a problem with either rings, guides, stem seals, PCV or gaskets.

Long term, it's cheaper to fix the problem than to keep on buying more oil to top off with, only to have it burn away

There is no apparent mechanical issue here....nor is a consumption issue apparent....merely user OCD...2k miles/qt is well within Toyo's expected measure of consumption.

You can worry from a 1/4 qt drop after 550 miles if you wish or go 2k miles and see where your oil level actually is....patience is a harsh mistress.

5w-30 is the recommended oil down to 0°....and below actually, but certainly to 0....You may be cold at 30, but your engine isn't.

Extended hiway cruising engines will like 30w more than 20w....

Your engine is spec'd for 5w-30 and any variation from that can not be an valid measure of the engine's performance or of oil consumption. (That's what Toyo would say, at least.....when I got the Kitacam, spec'd for 5w-30, the dealer was pleased I had stuck with THAT when going from dino to syn)

Again...you just got your car...enjoy it before reading too much here and begin the cycle of internet worry inherent in such forums.

Per Toyota, 1 quart per 2000 miles will not qualify as "excessive" oil consumption...it is considered "normal"....within design parameters.

Last edited:
Does that mean they design it in such a way that it DOES use oil?
Or that they build it, test it, see that it burns oil but sell it anyway without redesign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back