Toyota Diesel engine & Jaso DH-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my diesel vehicles has a Toyota 1KZ-TE 3Liter IDI Turbodiesel powerplant. The service manual states that API CF-4 oil is required, giving the usual viscosity/temperature chart. Reading that CJ-4 is turning out to be a better oil (than CI-4+) in almost all respects, I've attempted moderately extending drain intervals using CJ-4 M1 TDT with generally unfavorable results, and was wondering if this may be due to this engine being lumped in with other "japanese diesels". From reading here and on Ih8mud.com, they run higher oil temps and favor the higher calcium vs magnesium content of Jaso DH-1 & CI-4+ oils.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of specific standards for when CI-4+/DH-1 would be more appropriate (such as flat tappets, certain oil temperatures). I would "just try it" but am having serious trouble finding Delvac MX or Delo Multigrade. Let alone if I'm driving across the country and need to top up along the way. I looked at Amsoil ACD but the cost (I'm likely to abandon extended OCIs) and dealer network situation are disqualifiers.

Any and all thoughts are welcome,

Justin

We run them on anything without trouble.In my own shop I used to use Pennzoil Longlife,where I am now we use Fuchs Ultalube 15/40.It's CI-4,and ACEA E3/E5/E7/A3/B3/B4.The oil filter is a bit puny compared to what we have been used to on Japanese diesels....just change it every time.

More important than oil on these engines is coolant and the whole cooling system.Cook it and it's game over,new cyl head time.A good volume seller for new cyl head sales over here,the most popular head on the market.They come in 2 valve lengths.

Don't buy one - take care and don't overheat it.

Thanks for the tips. You don't happen to have any UOA data on those do you?

I went so far as converting mine to 5spd transmission & installing an intercooler to cut down on heat. I don't like tempting fate.

My UOA is that it's black as man....and it goes into the waste oil tank.Don't break a cambelt either - but they are half speed and I've never seen one break yet.And a real easy one to do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back