TOYOTA 90915-YZZF1 same length alternative?

The 4398/4967 have a can od of 2.7" while the 3600/3614 has a can od of 2.9" so a 0.2" difference is not much.

Meanwhile the 8a/16 have a can od of 3.66" that's enough of a difference to where it may be too tight in the filter cavity.
The can OD is one problem but the bigger problem is that the gasket on the 4967 is over 3/10th of an inch smaller than the one on the 3614/3600/16/8, with as small as the mount is that's a significant increases in the gasket size and puts the gasket more towards mating on the outer edge of the filter mount which many people have had success with but puts a greater risk of the gasket blowing out, not to mention that if a vehicle is 15-20 years old and has only ever had the small filters used on it the area outside the small gasket may be scratched\corroded\nicked from years of exposure to debris and road salt and provide a poor quality sealing surface if you try to use the larger filter.

I've used XG3600 on all our Toyotas.
- 2001 & 2003 Lexus IS300
- 2000 Lexus GS300
- 1999 Lexus GS400
- 2003 & 2006 Pontiac Vibe (Matrix twins)
- 2009 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
- 2004 Lexus ES330
- 2006 Toyota Camry 3.0L
- (2) 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrids
I'd usually just buy a wholesale box of filters from RockAuto in 3600 size. Never had any leaking issues yet. Just make sure mating area is clean and old gasket is off the block.

The can OD is one problem but the bigger problem is that the gasket on the 4967 is over 3/10th of an inch smaller than the one on the 3614/3600/16/8, with as small as the mount is that's a significant increases in the gasket size and puts the gasket more towards mating on the outer edge of the filter mount which many people have had success with but puts a greater risk of the gasket blowing out, not to mention that if a vehicle is 15-20 years old and has only ever had the small filters used on it the area outside the small gasket may be scratched\corroded\nicked from years of exposure to debris and road salt and provide a poor quality sealing surface if you try to use the larger filter.
thats true but the gasket surface is usually larger than necessary and as long as the gasket od doesnt extrude out of the gasket surface od a blowout shouldn't happen. now if the gasket extruded out then yes and it would be dangerous as the gasket could get spit out.

I have used the 3600 size filters on my Scion xB ( Toyota 2.4 L 2AZ-FE engine) without issue, and is almost the exact same size as the OEM filter.
The filter mounting area on the engine has plently of space for the slightly larger gasket of the 3600, and I have debated trying a 8A sized filter just for giggles.

Back