Toyota 3.4 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the "hole" picture. I wish Terry was still around and could comment on the pros and cons of extended oil changes. I have read that shorter oil changes can actually show more wear than reasonably extended ones.

Maybe Tackleberry is Terry in disguise! He does seem to have a unique insight into oil analysis.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
It's the "hole" picture. I wish Terry was still around and could comment on the pros and cons of extended oil changes. I have read that shorter oil changes can actually show more wear than reasonably extended ones.

yes and no....when you look at one "ppm" we are talking about such a small minute particle it could not be seen with the human eye unless you have a lot of them. I have seen used oil that looked like black metallic paint before. Needless to say that poor soul is screwed. I think we all take the ppm conversions too seriously sometimes. I mean, is there really a HUGE difference between FE that is 10ppm with brand X oil or 25ppm using brand Y oil, during a 10K OCI? Yes looking at the numbers there appears to be a big difference but we are talking about a difference of 15 Parts Per MILLION parts oil. Now if that FE number jumped to 300ppm then, yes by all means, I would be looking for the cause. I know we all want what is best for our babies but lets not get overboard and freak out when it is not needed. Ok group hug. :p

Just a few posts ago you were contending that this difference, if it was due to extended OCIs, was too risky to contemplate. Are you yanking our chains?

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Just a few posts ago you were contending that this difference, if it was due to extended OCIs, was too risky to contemplate. Are you yanking our chains?

No......in another thread I tried to clearify what I meant. I was talking about doing extended OCIs without doing a UOA and trying to push an oil to 15K because that is what is says on the bottle. For instance, M1 EP. It says proven protection up to 15K. Maybe under idel wheater and driving conditions but IMO not heavy traffic in tropical weather conditions. Sorry for the confussion.

I also said in other threads or maybe further up in this one.....sometimes it's more cost effective to just change your oil every 4-5K then keep doing UOAs every 5K and pushing an oil to 20K or beyond. When doing a UOA, the PPM numbers are important but you also have to look at everything.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
In that case, my apologies. I agree with you on both points.

It's ok, no harm down. I must have had too many pages opened up and thought I was on one topic and I was on another. As my younger sis says, my bad...........lol

This is what I posted in another thread.....

"I hope I finally said it the way I meant for it to come out. I have nothing against longer OCIs if, based on UOAs, they prove beneficial to the engine. I hate to see someone do 10K, do a UOA and think it looks good and they think they can go to a 18K, then their wear metals sky rocket. I don't want to see someone ruin their costly investment because they are trying to save $20.00 on an oil change when in turn the UOA cost more than an oil change in most cases. Talk about wasting money. I thought the reason for longer OCIs is to save money in the long run. Lets say a UOA cost $35-$60.00 and in a 30K OCI you do a UOA every 5K, that 6 UOAs at a cost of roughly $210.00 - $360, and even a little more if you do a Dyson UOA. Bottom line is, on a safe and cost affective basis, just changing your oil every 5K and doing a UOA once a year or so to “spot check” your engine and not trying to stretch it all the time to prove something, is much cheaper and a lot of times, better for your engine. I know not all people try to push their oil 30K but you get my point. Just my .02. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back